Gas Pressure Test Leak Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Atimu

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently bought a house (Clifton Heights Borough, Delaware County, PA) that needs to have all the inspections done before utilities can be turned on due to it being foreclosed for almost 2 years (and thus there is no gas or water at all in the house, and I am well aware that if I mess anything up I can and will have to get it fixed before any gas would be in the house, so I'm doing all this at my own risk. I do have electricity, thank goodness). I have a newby question about a gas pipe fitting that looks like it should be replaced since its leaking.

I did an air pressure test by hooking up a gauge to an already undone water heater pipe (as you'll see in the images), and saw that the pressure would drop 1 to 2 PSI per hour when around 5 PSI. The gas company said they would need to observe that it maintained 3 PSI for 10 minutes. Eventually I increased the PSI (to 15) to find the leak easier (soap test). Also I left all the appliance valves closed. Some say its better to cap them while others said leaving them closed is fine so I decided not to mess with them and just left them closed.

The leak is coming out of what looks like a special union or something from the gas meter. Can anyone tell what exactly it is, and what I would have to get to replace it, if I can? As well as what the size may be and the proper tool for that (couldn't find much that could get a good grip on it)? And I would have to hook up the water heater for the air test right? And would the air test have to be done from where the meter connects or would it somehow be okay to do it from where its connected now?

Here is a link to all the images: https://drive.google.com/open?id=13IEBRPFppNBm0Pl45LcviiL2jvu2ATz7
And a video if that helps:

Sorry for all of the dumb questions and the long post! Also I'm new to the forum and didn't realize I could upload files here, but the links shouldn't be all that bad right.

Any help appreciated, thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, for one thing, you should have disconnected the meter before you tested the piping. IF its regulator is doing its job, it should have released that over pressurization.

Atimu

Reaction score
Well, for one thing, you should have disconnected the meter before you tested the piping. IF its regulator is doing its job, it should have released that over pressurization.

Oh so does that mean the regulator is damaged and needs to be replaced? And do you know the name of the tool and where I would detach the meter? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That union should be the property of the gas company. You would disconnect your pipe FROM that union and then cap the pipe before testing it. You did not do any damage to the regulator or meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks