Gas Pipe Under Concrete Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

jones

Reaction score
image.jpg
I am adding a patio to my backyard. I am also adding an addition to my house, which is only relevant because it required a massive pad footing for a hardy panel that resulted in me removing the metal gas line that hooks up my fireplace. That massive footing also prevents me from digging down more than maybe six inches below grade. In my area (southern CA) one is to bury gas 18" down and sleeve it if it goes under a slab. What are my code approved options to hook the line back up since I can't go to required depth? Go horizontal in wrong direction and dig out and around? Put in pipe on top of new slab below stucco screed and then below slider? Put metal pipe where it was and hope? Protect it at less of depth?
Thank you,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "sleeve" you will HAVE to use will be at least 2" in diameter meaning it will be right below the 4" concrete slab. IF you sleeve it properly, and that is more than just putting a piece of pipe in the ground and sticking your gas pipe through it, then that will suffice, since the sleeve will protect the pipe and you will not be able to damage the sleeve by digging. DO NOT "put the metal pipe where it was and HOPE", because if you DO DO it, the instead of hoping you should probably be praying.

jones

Reaction score
Thank you much for the solution. Would you be willing to tell me or direct me to a resource on how to "sleeve" it properly?

What material(s) for the 2" sleeve above / below the concrete?
What material(s) for the gas pipe above / below the concrete?
Location(s) for any required or desirable shutoff values?
The gas pipe that was there was 1/2" ID.
Both pipes coming our of wall have female right angle fitting pointing down.
How do I connect it all?

My understanding regarding the sleeve is I am supposed to be able to pull the pipe out (so must be flexible gas line of some type), rain is not supposed to enter, gas needs to be able to get out if there is a leak. I think I read the sleeve is supposed to terminate higher than will work for me due to height of pipes coming out of walls relative to height of new slab.

Thank you for any further help.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The pipe will NOT "pull out". You use an approved steel pipe. The sleeve will normally be a 2" plastic line SEALED around the smaller pipe at both end. Somewhere in the pipe there will be a vent extending above the ground, maybe 72" high with an inverted "U" at the top. The sleeve AND the gas line have to be separately tested to at least 10 psi for 30 minutes with NO LEAK.

jones

Reaction score
Thank you again.

Out of curiosity, why is vent so tall... Keep animals out? Is portion above ground plastic?

Is it acceptable as an alternative to going underground to go up the wall, around the corner, over the slider and back down (asthetics aside) anchoring the pipe to the stucco?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Animals, sprinkler water, etc, but it is usually only 3/4" so it would be more bugs than animals.. It can be any material you desire. As long as it is at least 12" above the ground you can run it almost any way you want to.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my city in California, all gas line changes must be inspected, tested and signed by the city. Make sure you do the right thing before you start, by talking/asking at the bldg dept.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks