Gas pipe has no gas coming out

Users who are viewing this thread

webmeister

Reaction score
We purchased a new townhome (pud) that has a gas valve to the fireplace for lighting or burning logs. I have completely removed the guts from the the Gas Wall Valve, turned on the main and nothing comes out of the pipe.
I did a continuity test to the stove gas valve which works and they are one of the same pipe.
I do not believe it is code to place and intervening valve anywhere else in line is it?

Anyone have any ideas as to why there is no gas coming out of the pipe?

Dgeist

Reaction score
There's either none going in the line, it has a valve, or there's a physical blockage. Eliminate the two easy things first, since they're probably the most likely.

My home has several shutoffs on a a few of the NG runs. Easy way to find out is to trace it backwards towards the meter and see, and make sure any OTHER appliances in the place are getting gas. If not, then it could just be a meter not flowing properly or shut off.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably a valve, but if the line is not used, the black pipe can rust (well, even if it is used it can rust). NG pressure is quite low after the pressure regulator. If there's a small orifice at the end, it doesn't take much of a flake of rust or crud to block gas flow.

Nukedaddy

In the Trades
Reaction score
My home is one story on slab. The gas comes off of meter the vertical in wall to attic, then horizontal to far end of house all in black iron, with tee branches to each furnace (2) and fireplace (1) waterheater (1) and range (1).each branch has a ball valve 6 inches from the tee. Then corrugated SS gas tubing from attic down in the walls to each appliance. My fireplace has a supply for a log lighter that was never installed, and the ball valve in attic never opened. You might have something similar with ball valves buried in blown insulation.
Yes I know, and I would never have hidden threaded steel pipe for gas in the wall between the meter and the attic, but code enforcement in Mississippi is and was pretty hit and miss.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Are you saying that the valve is "gutted" and covered back up somehow but nothing comes out of the small holes in the log lighter? If so, is the horizontal pipe in the fireplace clogged up with ashes?

Reach4

Reaction score
I did a continuity test to the stove gas valve which works and they are one of the same pipe.
How did you do that test? With an ohmmeter, or some kind of pressure test?

webmeister

Reaction score
Are you saying that the valve is "gutted" and covered back up somehow but nothing comes out of the small holes in the log lighter? If so, is the horizontal pipe in the fireplace clogged up with ashes?
No I took the guts out of the wall valve upstream from the fireplace & nothing came out...

webmeister

Reaction score
My home is one story on slab. The gas comes off of meter the vertical in wall to attic, then horizontal to far end of house all in black iron, with tee branches to each furnace (2) and fireplace (1) waterheater (1) and range (1).each branch has a ball valve 6 inches from the tee. Then corrugated SS gas tubing from attic down in the walls to each appliance. My fireplace has a supply for a log lighter that was never installed, and the ball valve in attic never opened. You might have something similar with ball valves buried in blown insulation.
Yes I know, and I would never have hidden threaded steel pipe for gas in the wall between the meter and the attic, but code enforcement in Mississippi is and was pretty hit and miss.
Sounds about what I probably have. Only problem is this townhouse has virtually no attic. The area above the garage has crawl space is a likely location but will need to open it up to find it and who know where to begin....argh!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks