Gas Log Piping Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Dodge Dude

Reaction score
New (to me) home has an existing wood-burning masonry fireplace in good condition, with an existing gas log-lighter system. Looking to convert to fully-vented gas log system with an H-style burner.

The gas inlet pipe is located on the floor of the fireplace, centered from front-to-back, and about 7 inches off of the right side wall... really limiting the area I could place a burner since it's much more centrally located than I'd like. The pipe comes up from the floor underneath in a finished basement area, so it's not accessible to relocate easily (at all). There is a proper keyed shutoff valve on the floor outside of the hearth area.

Question is... is it safe for the black pipe coming up out of the bottom of the firebox to be located within the flame area? I'd like to have the pipe come up out of the floor, make a pretty immediate 90 degree turn off to the right, and then a couple of more turns to come back around to the burner inlet which is on it's right side... the pipe coming up and turning right would be pretty well in the flame area, though.

Where it's currently located and was used by the previous homeowner, the pipe up would have been in/near the hottest part of a wood fire -- near the bottom where the embers would collect. There is soot/charred wood residue on the outside of the elbow on the black pipe, so I know it was "in the fire" with logs resting on it before.

A natural gas fire would not burn as hot, but still makes me feel uneasy to have the pipe running through the flame area... would even make me nervous to use as-is with wood... are my concerns unfounded?

Attachments

• fireplace 1.jpg
    fireplace 1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 156
  • fireplace 2.jpg
    fireplace 2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 149
  • fireplace dims.png
    fireplace dims.png
    135.2 KB · Views: 158

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you re-work the gas line, make sure that the pipe with the holes for the flame is not at the fireplace floor .
Generally, fireplace pipes can take the heat.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks