Gas line to stove - question on removal of "old" flare

Users who are viewing this thread

lowmileage

Reaction score
Hi - we bought a new stove and I went to remove the old flex line. Line was removed at the flare. Question - should I remove the old flare from the pipe or from the nut at the shut-off valve. I went to remove it at the pipe by attaching a pipe wrench on the pipe but that didn't seem to work. Probably using the nut by the shut-off would give me move leverage? Thanks for the help, Fred IMG_8459.jpg

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi - we bought a new stove and I went to remove the old flex line. Line was removed at the flare. Question - should I remove the old flare from the pipe or from the nut at the shut-off valve. I went to remove it at the pipe by attaching a pipe wrench on the pipe but that didn't seem to work. Probably using the nut by the shut-off would give me move leverage? Thanks for the help, FredView attachment 24011

You should call someone that knows what they are doing. Gas goes BOOM

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Gas is dangerous.

When I'm installing a new flex, I use the flares that come with it.
You need two wrenches there. Using only one can be a big problem.
This isn't something I like homeowners to do.

lowmileage

Reaction score
I didn't have enough leverage with the 8" cresent wrenches I was using. A trip to Harbor Freight and $11 bought me 4 cresents including a 12" and a 10". That and a short pipe quickly removed the old flare. Thanks Terry for your reply.

Attachments

• IMG_8468.jpg
    IMG_8468.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 773

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You can lead a horse to water but you cant drown him until you push his head under.

Make sure your homeowners insurance is paid up.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking about the explosion in Harlem a month or so ago, that should be enough to deter any homeowner.

Well, most of them anyway.

SHR

Reaction score
I will not touch a line with that type of gas cock valve without changing the valve to a ball valve as part of the project.

A couple of years ago I was looking at a home to buy and the bedroom had a strong gas smell. I questioned the home owner who was showing the home and she said, "I am not sure what is causing the smell and I can't afford a plumber so I just sleep in the living room." EEEK! I did a little nosing around and found the leak problem. A water heater with this type of valve in a room off the bedroom. I felt bad for this lady and not being the type to ever walk away from a problem even when it is none of my business, I went out to my truck and got my tools and a new valve. Installed it for no charge. Cost me a little bit but I could sleep that night. I know, I know, we always have to get a permit and inspection but I just could not let this lady blow up herself and her neighborhood.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks