Gas line through a flue

Users who are viewing this thread

Petzold

Reaction score
I have a chimney with 2 flues for 2 fireboxes. The previous owner installed gas logs in both fireboxes. The gas lines were run outside the house then drilled through the chimney into the fire boxes. On the upper fire box the gas line actually runs through the flue for the lower firebox so that the hot gases pass the gas line. The chimney sweep said they never saw that before and didn't know if that was ok or not. I don't use the fire places a lot but I'm wondering if this is ok or if this is dangerous.

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
Sounds like a bad idea to me.
One issue is that as the pipe heats and cools the joints are going to expand and contract,
And with enough movement over time the joints are going to leak resulting in a posible buildup of natural gas in the flew.
Sounds like a bad idea to me....

Petzold

Reaction score
It is a flexible line so I believe there are no joints going through the flue. Here is what the pipe looks like.

IMG_0885.jpg

Petzold

Reaction score
I have a fire place on the first and second floor. The gas lines do enter the bottom of both fireboxes however to get to the second floor fire box they ran the gas line through the flue for the first floor fireplace. Attached is a picture up the flue from the first floor fireplace.

IMG_0886.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Very illegal, very dangerous, do not use it until someone that knows what they are doing changes it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That could be CSST tubing, but I do not see corrugations under the yellow sheath. IF it is plastic it is polyethylene and should not have been used indoors. NEITHER material should pass through the fireplace flue.

Petzold

Reaction score
That could be CSST tubing, but I do not see corrugations under the yellow sheath. IF it is plastic it is polyethylene and should not have been used indoors. NEITHER material should pass through the fireplace flue.

It's copper tubing and it's not corrugated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Interesting. I have NEVER seen "yellow" copper tubing for use in gas lines, and it would normally NOT be labeled for a 2 psi system, unless it was done in the field. Copper for natural gas is not a common item in this area, but no matter where it is used there are specific restrictions on it, one of them being how connections are made. They CANNOT be "soldered".

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
We use clad copper here for LP high pressure lines from the tank to the house but not inside and certainly not through a flue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks