Gas Line sizing question

Users who are viewing this thread

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I am running an underground poly gas line from my outdoor meter around my house ...into my house to feed a 48" pro style range, a natural gas insert in a masonry chimney and a direct vent wall heater.

Farthest appliance is the insert at approx. 100' from the meter...total btu load for the 3 units is 233k btu's

158k btu for the range, 40k btu for the insert and 35k btu for the wall heater. Range has a 3/4" connection but the manufacturer recommends a 1" feed line.

2 questions

1) If I have sized this properly I need 1 1/4" pipe to supply the btu's needed ?

2) Do I have to run the 1 1/4" directly to each appliance then size it down or can I branch off the 1 1/4" main line as it enters the house and run smaller feeds according to the appliance ? Does that make sense...

Also, the chances of me having all 3 appliances running wide open at once is pretty slim, so what about a 1" line from the meter @ 100'...looks like it will give me 209k btu's....a little shy of what I need but easier to work with.

I am a firm believe that bigger is always better, especially with gas so......

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated..

Reach4

Reaction score
I would talk to the gas company. In some areas, the gas company will provide you with 2 psi gas from the meter. Then you use regulators at the appliances to get you down to 6 inch water column (about 1/4 psi). At 2 PSI, you can get much more gas through a given size pipe.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I had a larger meter installed a few months back and the gas company had mentioned that it was 1/4 psi...after the meter

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I am not a con ed customer so.....I have a call into my local utility..... National grid to find out the operating pressure.

Once I determine the proper pipe size.....my questions still stand .

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a con ed customer so.....I have a call into my local utility..... National grid to find out the operating pressure.

Once I determine the proper pipe size.....my questions still stand .
If the 2 psi is readily available, it makes the answer much different and the piping easier.

I am not practiced at running the pressure drop calculations that you were requesting. I thought 2 psi gas could potentially make the job much easier. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html has the basic data to let you do the calculations for a 6 inch water column supply.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local gas company.....the clueless lady I spoke with told m they have no way to determine the "inlet" or operating pressure after the meter !! She had no idea of pressure drop etc....wasted an hr on hold for nothing !

Reach4

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local gas company.....the clueless lady I spoke with told m they have no way to determine the "inlet" or operating pressure after the meter !! She had no idea of pressure drop etc....wasted an hr on hold for nothing !
If she knew the answer, that would not have helped you. You already know what you currently have.

https://www.nationalgridus.com/media/pronet/gas-blue-book.pdf page 26 and 27 talk of gas pressures including elevated pressures. It seems it is all on a case-by case basis. Some places offer 2 PSI as a fairly easy option. That is probably not the case with National Grid.

Last edited:

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
Talked with a local plumber and he told me that I can branch off the 1 1/4" to my appliances and use it as a "main" since it come direct from the meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks