Gas Line from meter size question - can I go bigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

El_Button

Reaction score
Hey all, maybe a dumb and obvious questions but if my meter has a 1" pipe on it then I am assuming going any bigger than that won't matter since I will always be restricted by the 1" pipe size?

I need to redo the gas line from the meter. It's abut 100 feet from the meter to my house and I was thinking of running an oversized (TBD) pipe so that I could branch off later for a planned ADU.

Obviously I would need to run proper calculations this is just ore of a general question about gas piping.

Thank you.

Chris

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey all, maybe a dumb and obvious questions but if my meter has a 1" pipe on it then I am assuming going any bigger than that won't matter since I will always be restricted by the 1" pipe size?

I need to redo the gas line from the meter. It's abut 100 feet from the meter to my house and I was thinking of running an oversized (TBD) pipe so that I could branch off later for a planned ADU.

Obviously I would need to run proper calculations this is just ore of a general question about gas piping.

Thank you.

Chris
Yes bigger is fine won't hurt anything.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its very often a gas line from the meter exceeds the size of incoming line or the connection at meter. you might have as large as a 2 inch line coming to house from a 1 inch
Youll probebly be running yellow poly pipe 1 1/2 maybe 2 inch ( just wild guessing on size of big house maybe a pool heater too) there is a possibility medium pressure could be allowed to regulator outside the house/houses and allow for much smaller perhaps only 3/4 inch pipe . Especialy if you had a existing gas line the Authority may allow you to up the pressure to medium rather than require you to dig and install a new bigger main.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks