Gas Line For Dryer is too Small But It’s 1/2 Inch I Swear!

Users who are viewing this thread

H.Corning

Reaction score
Hello,

We had a new gas dryer delivered, but the installers said they couldn’t hook it up because the supply was too small. The plumbers who did the work (we removed a wall furnace and are using that gas supply) swear it’s a 1/2” supply and refuse to come out again without charging us. We’ve been waiting for the store to call us back but it’s a big box store and it’s been about 6 weeks!

So, we know we’re not supposed to mess with gas but we did try to fit the supply hose to the pipe (with the valve shut off, of course) and it’s definitely too loose. The gas supply is 1/2” male—we googled to figure out the right way to measure. The dryer hose says it’s 1/2”. I don’t get it! Are older gas pipes a different 1/2” than what is currently 1/2”? What do we need to make it fit so that when we finally get someone out to hook it up officially it will work?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas connectors use flare connections, so going downstream you'd have:

gas shutoff valve - 1/2" nipple - flare adapter - flexible gas connector - flare adapter - 1/2" nipple on the dryer (if I recall)

Maybe you are missing a flare adapter?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The gas connector should be a new one, by the time you replace the appliance it's time for a new connector. The new connector should come with the flare adapters. The flare sizing is not a multiple of 1/4", perhaps so that you can't make the mistake of omitting the flare adapter and putting the flare nut directly on a threaded end. But since the gas connectors come with flare adapters, you normally don't have to worry about the flare sizing.

So if you have a 1/2" MIP end after your gas shutoff, and a 1/2" MIP end on the gas dryer, you want a 1/2" FIP x 1/2" FIP gas connector with a sufficient BTU/hr rating for the gas dryer, and sufficient length to allow moving the gas dryer into place after making up the connections. The connector will be 3 pieces, the two flare adapters and the actual flexible connector. Some connectors may be labeled as 3/4" MIP or 1/2" FIP, that means it comes with a flare adapter with external 3/4" IPS threads and internal 1/2" IPS threads, so it can be used either way.

Cheers, Wayne

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's a pic with one of each. Its what you need

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-171456_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-171456_Chrome.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,044

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
It isn't really complicated but if you aren't sure what you are doing there is something to be said for stepping away smartly. It is gas and bad things can happen.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you cant tell what the problem is then I doubt you can hook it up. but if you take the yellow thing to store and show him the video he might be able to walk you through it a little easier than explaining its real simple

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is what happened in my town when a contractor without a gas ticket hooked a Range up. Owner pulled it forward and ripped all the guts out. They pulled it forward cause of a small electrical fire in the back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200820-185313_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200820-185313_Messages.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 928

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its serious buisness working on your own home. But a stove can be instaled safeley by many home owners. but not all. first off learn how to shut gas off both at the valve and at meter. if you cant learn that dont touch anything. but I recomend all adults know how to turn off gas and water

Sam M

Reaction score
If the installers couldn't figure out that you don't have a flare adapter on the supply pipe then I don't think I want them installing my dryer. I would personally pay a licensed plumber to do the install.

If you want to tackle this yourself, do lots of research before attempting. As others have mentioned, gas is not something you want to mess around with if you don't understand what you're doing. Also make sure you test every single connection you make with either the solution you can buy at a store or soapy water.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Went thru same thing with Grandaughter bought an 25 yo house had a new fridge delivered with icemaker. Guys said they couldnt install. Got on phone first with grandaughter then with installer and none of them could articulate the problem . so they (installer ) left after several more conversations with her I could never understand problem. finaly I went to visit her 4 hours away , there was nothing but a poly tube sticking out of wall behind fridge and samething under kitchen sink. pretty darn simple but big box store free delivery dosent include such things if its not 100 percent ready you dont get it done. If anyone thinks a qualified plumber and aplliance tech is coming out on a free delivery they are wrong

Sam M

Reaction score
Went thru same thing with Grandaughter bought an 25 yo house had a new fridge delivered with icemaker. Guys said they couldnt install. Got on phone first with grandaughter then with installer and none of them could articulate the problem . so they (installer ) left after several more conversations with her I could never understand problem. finaly I went to visit her 4 hours away , there was nothing but a poly tube sticking out of wall behind fridge and samething under kitchen sink. pretty darn simple but big box store free delivery dosent include such things if its not 100 percent ready you dont get it done. If anyone thinks a qualified plumber and aplliance tech is coming out on a free delivery they are wrong

You get what you pay for. If I need to hire someone I do my research and don't go with the lowest bid. Good work isn't cheap.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Totaly disagree. You dont get what you pay for are you kidding sometimes you get screwed and paying more dosent mean less chance of that. And never taking lowest bid is as bad as always taking lowest bid.
So get 2 bids and no matter what throw the cheapest out? Or every little job you get 3 or more bids?
I wish paying more for everything was as smart as going with the cheapest I think both are equally wrong

H.Corning

Reaction score
As my last line says, we are definitely getting a pro to hook the dryer up. I just don’t want to spend $200 and have them say, “Oh, I gotta drive back and get this part, and I’m charging you for driving time,” when we could have the right parts ready. We are 30 minutes from where most trades are located. Thanks for your tips, everyone!

Taylorjm

Reaction score

Not that this has to do with the original post, but most places will not hook up an ice maker to a poly line. They will only hook up to copper or the stainless flex supply lines. No poly. Too much of a risk of it breaking and leaking.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not that this has to do with the original post, but most places will not hook up an ice maker to a poly line. They will only hook up to copper or the stainless flex supply lines. No poly. Too much of a risk of it breaking and leaking.

thanks probebly a smart thing not hooking up to poly dont think it worth a flood

Reach4

Reaction score
Metal tubing is not suitable if feeding RO water to the icemaker.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks