Gas hot water heater won't light

Users who are viewing this thread

biped

Reaction score
I have an 8-year-old State brand (A.O. Smith) gas hot water heater with a Honeywell gas valve. The pilot light won’t stay lit. When I tried to re-light it the status light started to blink once every three seconds as it should. I could see the pilot flame through the window but I held the solenoid open in the pilot position for up to a minute to ensure that the thermopile was warm. Then I moved the gas valve dial to hot. I heard a click in the gas valve which I assume was related to opening the main gas flow. The pilot light went out and I did not see the main burner ignite. The status light stayed at one blink per 3 seconds for up to half a min but then went to 2 blinks in 3 seconds which is the signal for low thermopile voltage. I replaced the pilot assembly containing a new thermopile, along with the front cover plate, flex gas line, pilot gas line and all wiring (igniter, temperature and thermopile). This did not help.

What might be wrong? Does it make sense to replace the gas valve?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Since thermopiles put out such a small voltage i check connections at all the controls and if their screwed terminals loosen then retighten push on do the same off and back on. Thermostat jump it out contact might have a little resistance in it just for a test.

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hello,

Does your hot water tank have a power vent blower? If it does have one, it will need to be replaced even though it may seem to work. If the pilot light does not light, you will need to replace the Honeywell controller. One other thing that you should check is the filter located in the bottom of the hot water tank. Please clean this filter of all hair, dirt, and dust.

Please remember that your hot water tank may still be under warranty. If it is, all the parts that you will need are free of charge.

If you need any more advice,
please let me know.

Bob

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like the gas valve is not opening.
Call AO Smith and see if you are still under warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks