Gas Fireplace with random starting

Users who are viewing this thread

Spfrancis

Reaction score
So I have a "superior" gas fireplace that is probably 20 years old. I'm going to bring out a fireplace guy, but wanted to get an idea of what could be going on. Here is what is going on.

First, we never use this thing. I have now been trying to get this ready for a home sale.
I turn on the switch...and the flame doesn't come on. I see that the pilot flame is on.
I notice that if I click the starter for the pilot flame a couple of times, and then turn the switch off/on...it seems to start after 10-15 secs.

Feels like something is starting to fail, or maybe some sort of build up or something?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like your pilot flame is too far from the gas nozzle. Or there are rocks deflecting the gas from getting to the pilot flame.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pilot stays lit? What type of switch is it? One similar to a wall switch? If the the pilot is lit exercise the switch. If the switch just operates just the burner and not a fan it might need to be replaced it would be very low voltage from 350 to 750 ma purchase one made for a fireplace would have a gold contact.

Spfrancis

Reaction score
It is a wall switch...okay, maybe I will look for a low voltage wall switch to replace...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks