Gas Fired Garage Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

STEELERFAN

Reaction score

I am a novice plumber but farly skilled mechanic.

I would like to install a gas fired garage heater that would be suspended from the garage ceiling. A 3/4" black pipe gas line has been roughed in (by others)from the basement which is integral and on the other side of the garage wall. The rough in includes a shut-off valve, a "T" fitting with a nipple in each end.

The heater unit requires min. of 2' clearance from ceiling & 1.5' clearance from the walls.

The unit will vent with 4" pipe directly out of the rear wall.

Questions: Would it be better to finish the gas piping with rigid pipe or attach a flex line? (not sure if this is a code specification)

Am I correct in assuming that the lower nipple in the "T" fitting is a means of draining the line in case of water accumulation?

Can anyone offer any tips to avoid problems or things to beware of?

Thanks in advance.

Modine Gas Garage heater

Last edited by a moderator:

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Garage Heater

The "T" fitting on the gas line is a sediment trap, rarely is there ever any accumulated sediment but some codes require it. Local code will determine the type of gas connection, whether it needs to be solid or a flex connector should be used. Venting is also extremely important including the type of flue piping used. This type of work may also need to be filed, inspected and approved by the Building Dept.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Most of those heaters still have to be vented out through the roof. A strong breeze blowing from the direction of the side wall vent pipe, could create a backdraft and cause the burned gases to vent into the building or blow out the pilot light if the unit is not operating.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks