Gas Dryer Valve Rough-In question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr.T

Reaction score
Typically, any time I've set up a gas dryer the valve is always behind the unit near floor level. Of course access requires pulling the dryer forward. I am roughing in a laundry room and the gas line is actually coming from the ceiling and down inside a framed, outside wall. I was thinking about roughing-in the valve in-line with the black pipe at the same height as the receptacles and the washing machine outlet box. Then continue the black pipe basically to the floor with a 90 at the bottom and then my flex line to the appliance.

Any reason NOT to do this? Seems like it would make the valve much more convenient and faster to access. I've just never really seen it this way. My intent was to buy a blank outlet box and pipe it through that or build and finish out a small niche. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Typically, any time I've set up a gas dryer the valve is always behind the unit near floor level. Of course access requires pulling the dryer forward. I am roughing in a laundry room and the gas line is actually coming from the ceiling and down inside a framed, outside wall. I was thinking about roughing-in the valve in-line with the black pipe at the same height as the receptacles and the washing machine outlet box. Then continue the black pipe basically to the floor with a 90 at the bottom and then my flex line to the appliance.

Any reason NOT to do this? Seems like it would make the valve much more convenient and faster to access. I've just never really seen it this way. My intent was to buy a blank outlet box and pipe it through that or build and finish out a small niche. Thoughts?
I like that . only thing I dont like is busting open wall to replace the valve if /when it needs replacing. perhaps coming down wall with the valve a short nipple and then a union, then you could presumeably change that valve out.
Evedently some ( I dont know how often ) are putting recessed boxes down low so you can work the valve and not have any gas piping ,valve , or flex adapter prohibiting pushing dryer back to wall.
Ive never done it as you mentioned though have always felt that the gas shutoffs should be more acessable but it just isnt in our culture for some reason thats not a valued idea by society in my area Southern California or any where Ive seen

Mr.T

Reaction score
Jeff,
thanks for the reply. I actually have a metal DryerBox at the bottom for the exact reason you describe. To have additional room for the vent pipe and the gas flex line to nest a bit and allow the dryer to be pushed back further.

Also, I am 100% with you. I did consider serviceability of the valve down the road, so I figured I would EXACTLY what you described. I feel like things have not been done this way since most times the gas line is coming up from the bottom. In my case it more naturally sets me up to do exactly like I want to do since I'm coming top down. I think I'm going to give it a go. Stay tuned!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Out here in Ca , we almost always build on slab and until about 20 years ago wash machines were always on first floor so the gas came from top but then the new style of home came around and they seemed to think the Washer and dryer belong upstairs and a new fad came along ha ha.
I put new washer and dryer in my house laundry room is on way to my garage machines have gotten bigger wound up having to swap places to get my dryer in had to put a new vent that allowed me to hard pipe my dryer vent straight out the side of house a PIA to do my dryer is less than an inch from the wall. door to garage clears the machine by an inch.
perhaps you should just use an access panel door rather than a box? it can be painted and you wont be looking at the valve

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks