Gas dryer exhaust obstuction

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyGary

Reaction score
I can not seem to find the appropriate place to post this so feel free to move it as necessary.

I just wanted to share this anecdote. I'm in a townhome with attached garage and the dryer in garage. The exhaust goes into the wall, out the ceiling, into the garage rafters/trusses area and then up through the roof. As this exhaust duct leaves the attic, it has an A-frame shaped rain cover over it.

A squirrel dropped a green pine cone down that exhaust. You can imagine the rest of the story!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did your co detector go off? Did it start a fire? I can imagine a lot of things.

HandyGary

Reaction score
Well John, I did say that you can imagine the rest of the story. You are imagining a very rational, reasonable consequence. I was far more lucky than that. It was about a 1.5" - 2" pine cone in a 3" exhaust. The drying time was taking longer and the 90º turn was dripping water onto my car. I started opening things up where it was exposed. When I started at the 90º turn, 4' below the roof, I found the pine cone. It had become fuzzy.

So I taped a piece if rain gutter leaf grill to the top of the vent where the pine cone was deposited. It had 3/8" - 1/2" size grids. That fouled with lint eventually so I removed it. I still have a place where a dumb squirrel could do this again. <shrug>

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well John, I did say that you can imagine the rest of the story. You are imagining a very rational, reasonable consequence. I was far more lucky than that. It was about a 1.5" - 2" pine cone in a 3" exhaust. The drying time was taking longer and the 90º turn was dripping water onto my car. I started opening things up where it was exposed. When I started at the 90º turn, 4' below the roof, I found the pine cone. It had become fuzzy.

So I taped a piece if rain gutter leaf grill to the top of the vent where the pine cone was deposited. It had 3/8" - 1/2" size grids. That fouled with lint eventually so I removed it. I still have a place where a dumb squirrel could do this again. <shrug>
Squirrels got into my attic and chewed the electrical wiring insulation off. Talk about annoying. There was also a squirrel skeleton. So I think he got what was coming for that one. Although i would have liked to punish him even worse when i had to get into the attic and lay on my face to re insulate the wiring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks