Gas boiler: low flame, water temp low

Users who are viewing this thread

Artm69

Reaction score
System includes a Burnham blue gas boiler with a VR8200C3005 valve. Been working fine for years. Since yesterday, with outside temp -7 deg, the flame on all burners is low, heating the water to only 140-deg instead of 180.

All other gas appliances are working normally with normal gas flow.

Any thoughts?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Guess the boiler isn't cycling off so if that's true thermostat and boiler water temp control is working as it should. If the gas line entering the boiler has a drip leg ( tee with a nipple and cap gas feeding boiler out the side outlet of tee) shut gas off to it pull the cap from drip leg see how much dirt is in it. A little dirt is not unusual. There is a screen entering side of gas valve could be dirty. Tap on the valve it may be sticking and needs to be replaced. If it has 24 vac to it should open all the way. looking at pics of the valve the very bottom has a piece of sheet metal screwed to valve body. One edge is raised with a small mirror and flashlight look into it if possible see if there is a spider web in it. If there is it needs to be cleaned out there is a rubber diaphragm in there and that slot is a vent. More that likely valve needs to be replaced.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'd suggest getting a licensed/insured plumber, gas boilers aren't a good idea to DIY, and by description this may be the gas valve.

Artm69

Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmaiton, as I suspected. Time for a plumber to replace it. This is the second one in this boiler in 25 years, which seems suspect. My other identical boilers are still on their original valves, all over 20 years old.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks