Gas ball valve installation

Users who are viewing this thread

Jack Foster

Reaction score
I am preparing to replace a gas appliance and will also be replacing the Brasscraft 1/2" gas ball valve and associated flex line. Do these brass gas valves get install to roughly the same tightness as one would tighten a water IP threaded valve? I have installed a stop and waste valve, preasure reducing valve and expansion tank, and know how those components felt when properly tightened, but have never done a gas valve to black pipe. Same feel? I will be properly cleaning the old male threads and using Rectorseal 5 thread sealant. Thank you for any guidance you can offer.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many gas valves are constructed of rather thin and possibly inferior metal. I've seen several such valves split at the FPT end when installed
(by "professional" plumbers), presumably due to excessive tightening. It would behoove anyone to have a spare or two
on hand.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Gas pressure is WAY lower than typical water pressure. You do need to get it tight, but it doesn't need to be excessive. Just make sure to get a nice even coat of pipe dope. When done, do a soap bubble test...if good, you should be fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks