Gas and Galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

tractng

Reaction score
Guys,

Last night, we were installing the water heater that sits inside our house.

We were short of a part so we end up using an 1 inch connector that was made for gas (black color) instead of the galvanized ones.

This connector screw into the outgoing water hot water thread then connects to the copper flexible pipe.

It was late so all of the stores closed. Is this okay?

Thanks,
Tony

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a temporary fix, it's OK. There's nothing toxic in black iron pipe. However, why are you even considering galvanized pipe? This will eventually rust. The special nipples that should have come with the tank will not rust. You should get a couple of them and replace the black iron, but it's not an emergency repair.

tractng

Reaction score
Gary,

What do you mean for temporary its okay? You highly suggest I replace it? I cannot leave there permanently?

Originally the flexible copper pipe should have gone straight into the nipple of the heater, but it wasn't long enough.

The new heater came with the nipple attached.

Tony

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I misunderstood your original post. You have the correct nipples. (the ones that came with the tank) What you need to do now is either get longer flex pipes, lengthen the pipes that feed the flex pipes, or raise the tank. I'd obviously opt for the longer flex pipes, because it's quicker than sweating new supply line pipe. The black iron nipples are "temporary" because sooner or later they will rust. It won't happen in a day or two, even a week or a month, so it is not anything that you have to rush out and deal with on a holiday.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would disagree a little with Gary who said the black nipple wont rust in a "day or two, or week, or even a month." I would suspect that within a week you will have serious rust inside and out on that nipple, and within a month you could start to have rust stains on you sink or tub.

I am always a little on the paranoid side, but black iron rusts very quickly. Remember, this is a malleable steel nipple, not cast iron, which is different.

If you leave it very long, you may have trouble getting it out. I would just put changing this at the top of your to-do list.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks