Garbage Disposal water not draining (New Install)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dimitri K

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been renovating the kitchen and I just
Got to installing the garbage disposal & dishwasher a few days ago. After about the 3rd day, the water will not drain from sink.

The disposal has not been used so it is not a debri issue. Plumbing is not my forte (I’m an electrician) but I have done most of the work myself and I would appreciate any feedback on what I may have installed improperly.

The disposal works but water will not drain at all and I didn’t see anything stuck in any of the pipes from the disposal to the floor drain. Fyi, I have a floor drain under the sink.
I will upload a few pictures and maybe someone here can help me out. Also, the white paper towel in the pics is where the dishwasher drain hose goes. I have left it off for now

Thank You!

9F610A01-6ED7-43D2-9D15-ED47EBA95610.jpeg
8994AF1D-90EC-40E7-A76F-237CC788AD24.jpeg
A78E60DC-F518-4CDE-A3C5-3A53A4F2556D.jpeg
77A8624F-5C66-4718-9C7A-8148448E50FF.jpeg
24C6212F-3025-4632-932A-34580067940F.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It looks like you created an S-trap and is there a vent below the floor level? S trap are not allowed and without a vent is probably causing the slow or no drain. What type of pipe is all this connected to? Is it possible to get access below to move the drain? I'm not sure why it worked for a few days. Have you removed the trap and snaked the drain pipe?

That flex pipe is not a good idea, they just catch too much debris but they can get you out of a jam. Just beware that it won't last forever.

9850804ab85f5e1e215ce795f274b824.png

This is what you want to have using an AAV for venting. The trap arm needs to be at least 3" long with a 1.5" pipe.

typical-s-trap-conversion-logo.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
poor job with the s trap . that said looks like you made it look good though. probebly the trap is shoved into that flexible thingy and cutting off flow. but do a little searching on here on how to hook up kitchen sink and youll do fine. good luck and feel free to ask more questions if help needed

Dimitri K

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I had no idea it's a violation to have an S-Trap under the sink. With that being said, I purchased the home as a short sale in 2006 with no inspection and that's the way it's always been hooked up. The drain

I finally figured out where the problem was. I found a long piece of aluminum flexible molding and stuck it down the pipe. I noticed it was getting stuck about 5-6 ft in. so I cut the drain pipe in the basement and pulled out a bunch of debri that was blocking it. Then I replaced it with a piece of PVC pipe and Rubber Couplings. Everything seems to work fine now, no leaks and water is going down much quicker. There hasn't been a sink in the kitchen for about 2 months while I have been working on it so what i think happened is all the debri that used to be there, settled and dried out maybe?...

WorthFlorida, thanks for the input. I do not have a vent installed. That will probably be my next project. There is no way for me to convert it to a P-Trap now without taking apart the newly renovated kitchen.

Hopefully, i did a decent job and it holds up for a while. Thanks Again and here are some more pics.
20201122_141155.jpg
20201122_141218.jpg
20201122_161314.jpg
20201122_161320.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A good find. It looks like with the batch of goo at the main stack that there was a leak at one time or a section of pipe rusted out and was replaced. The problem probably started when the home was built a long time ago (100 years). That section of 2" drain is not sloped very much and food waste will settle in the pipe or there is a slight dip in the run.

At one time S-Traps were very common but they can have a tendency to be siphoned dry with a fast rush of water so they became outlawed. If you hear some gurgling from the drain, it's air entering the trap. If you do just run the water a few seconds to fill the trap.

The house I grew up in we had the same problem and every few years my dad would pull the pipes to clean out the harden soaps and grease. When pvc was easily available he replaced it all and the problem went away.

Reach4

Reaction score
Your next clog might turn up upstream of this one. Temporarily removing this newPVC section might let you snake to the right if that happens.

If you redo your drain some day, you might want to add a cleanout, and use a long sweep to transition from vertical to horizontal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks