Garbage disposal problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Anil0127

Reaction score
Garbage disposal suddenly not turning on. I checked the outlet which seems to be defective so I plugged the garbage disposal in the dishwashers outlet which is not defective and it still won’t turn on. So it seems that both the outlet and the garbage disposal may have a problem. What could it be? I got the garbage disposal less then 6 months ago and don’t use it too often. It’s the insink erator badger mode 5.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There is a reset on the bottom of the unit that pops out if the motor can't spin. Pushing it back in resets it.
Sometimes the unit will jam. Perhaps a coin dropped in, or a plastic bread tab falls inside and wedges between the part that spins and the outside of the chamber. It needs to be able to spin freely, or the reset will turn off the power to prevent burning out the motor.
To check the outlet wiring, does the dishwasher still work, or can you plug a light into it and check?

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to isolate the lack of power and the GD failing. They are not related.
First you check for power. A mini tester or a corded desk lamp can be used. The GD outlet is controlled by a switch. The DW is not controlled by a switch.
If there is no power at the GD outlet with the switch in on position, fix it, or get an electrician to fix it.
If there is power at the GD outlet, then the problem is with the GD. Try to run it as mentioned above after you re-set it, but if it still can't run, call ISE customer's service.
At 6 months, it's probably under warranty.
Why it won't run is something we can't determine from behind a computer.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Garbage disposal suddenly not turning on. I checked the outlet which seems to be defective so I plugged the garbage disposal in the dishwashers outlet which is not defective and it still won’t turn on. So it seems that both the outlet and the garbage disposal may have a problem. What could it be? I got the garbage disposal less then 6 months ago and don’t use it too often. It’s the insink erator badger mode 5.

You now know about the red button from other members. Be sure to UNLOCK your disposal. DO NOT PUSH the red button over and over and listen to it hum. That red button prevents you from burning up the motor. If you don't have a tool to unlock the disposal, they sell them at home depot for about $4.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks