Garbage Disposal Choices

Users who are viewing this thread

JThiessen

Reaction score
I've currently got a Wasteking SS8000 under the sink, and it appears that its seen its last days. I seem to think that I bought it and put it in, but the DW disagrees with me. Anyway, I dont have a receipt for it, so warranty claim is out the door. Not sure I would have bothered anyway for a 130 dollar item if shipping it was involved.
I've been shopping online for a new one, and with prices for the Wasteking 1-HP units running around 130, I have to ask, why in the world would anyone pay double, or even triple that for an In-sink-erator (equivelent 1hp Stainless models)?? I've searched on this forum, but it seems that WasteKing is rarely mentioned as a product...
Havent found any local vendors for the Waste-King line yet (Costco sells them, but not sure if they have them in store).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Mainly because the plumbers don't like the Waste King.
We do like Insinkerator. Insinkerator has a nice "in home warranty", they will come to your home to fix or replace.
You can buy the cords, air switches, and replacement sink flanges at a hardware store if needed.
If something falls in, I can put my hand in there to pull it out, I can't do that with Waste King.
They are quieter. Some of the Waste Kings are Gawd Awful Loud! I had some 3/4 hp Waste Kings that sounded like a jet taking off.

Do not, I repeat do not buy a Costco Titan disposer. Super lightweight plastic body, it feels like you could play touch football with it. The inlet for the dishwasher is too small, and the water will back up the air gap and flood the kitchen countertop. They must buy those things for a few dollars in large containers.
I used to do work for one of the Costco "buyers" in the Seattle area. I quit doing work for him when he wanted my to plumb a downstairs bathroom into the rain drains. Just below him was Lake Washington. I swim there.

The Insinkerator Evolution series is killer!
Super quiet, you can see the video at this link.

Super Quiet Evolution Link
I like how it shows celery being cut up. I can remember snaking a kitchen drain for a family that ate a lot of stir fried food.
It was pretty clogged up with stringy celery. I've seen some disposers that do a poor job on carrots and potatoes too.

Seattle area disposer installation

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's because the Insinkerator Evolution product line left Waste King behind and they are headed for extinction...

Darwin was right! Costco is just slowing the process a little....

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I bought an Insinkerator Excel (1HP) about 4 years ago and love it. They list for over $600, but they're available on line for under $300 and are easy to install. They've got a microprocessor in them, so they must be good. I think the 1HP is probably overkill for the average home (and really big!), but I got a deal I couldn't refuse at the time; if it ever fails I'll replace it with the 3/4HP model (the Evolution Essential) which is available for under $200.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've been shopping online for a new one, and with prices for the Wasteking 1-HP units running around 130, I have to ask, why in the world would anyone pay double, or even triple that for an In-sink-erator (equivelent 1hp Stainless models)

Good question - already answered but will add my 2 cents. For me, it boiled down to wanting to avoid having my sink drain clog up every time I put too many potato peels in it. Always seems to happen when company is coming, too, for some reason!
These Insinkerators really grind stuff up very finely. I haven't had a clog since switching to an Evolution Excel. Also, it will take just about any food product you want to send its way - bones, corn cobs, you name it - check out their web site for details.

I also figured the Insinkerator will likely last a lot longer than cheaper models which don't have as much stainless steel in their construction.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The ISE is easier to install, and the sink mount is unlikely to start leaking like the Waste King
2. I have NEVER had an ISE fail during its warranty period.
3. Replacing an ISE is a simple matter when it does go bad, unless the drain ring looks too bad to reuse it.
4. There are more brands that use the ISE style mount, than ones that use the WK version.

To misquote, "those who buy on the basis of low cost, will have indigestion long after the sweet taste of saving money is gone".

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I put the Evolution Compact in my own place about 4 years ago. Very quiet, easy install, more than adequate for our modest needs. If you are a heavier user, step up to the Essential or Excel.

No matter what disposer you have, follow Dirty Harry's advice: a man's gots to know his limitations. Don't overstuff...feed the food in small batches, and run LOTS of water.

JThiessen

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Seems though, that there is little in the way of technical comparison as opposed to opinions (that's the inherent nature of forums, huh!). I respect those that have only used ISE's, and reported good things in regards to thier service (and used that to ultimately choose a ISE).

My WK is stainless, just like the I.S.E.'s. The new ones, I know also carry a great warranty (lifetime). And its been operating clog free/leak free for the last ten years, god knows how long it was installed before we bought the house. Noise wise, I dont know. My feeling is that its loud - especially in comparison to those vids (but then how accurate sound level wise is a YouTube vid?). I dont buy just on price, but in comparing features, it doesn't appear that the ISE's are worth the extra money - hence my post on here to see if there was any direct comparison between the two. Terry stated that "Plumbers dont like them"....well, why is that? Is it performance, ease of install, or is it a business issue? Based on my "experience" so far, I think I'm paying more just for the noise level (and I'm almost going to guess its a significant difference).

That being said, I decided to spend the extra $ so I picked up an Essential, and the guy sold me a 9 dollar "disposal jam tool" just to see if I could resussitate the old one. Out the door at a little over 300. Well, two minutes with the tool, and the WasteKing is alive again. One nice thing about buying local is being able to return items easily.

So all ended well for me on this one...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. Seems though, that there is little in the way of technical comparison as opposed to opinions (that's the inherent nature of forums, huh!). I respect those that have only used ISE's, and reported good things in regards to thier service (and used that to ultimately choose a ISE).

My WK is stainless, just like the I.S.E.'s. The new ones, I know also carry a great warranty (lifetime). And its been operating clog free/leak free for the last ten years, god knows how long it was installed before we bought the house. Noise wise, I dont know. My feeling is that its loud - especially in comparison to those vids (but then how accurate sound level wise is a YouTube vid?). I dont buy just on price, but in comparing features, it doesn't appear that the ISE's are worth the extra money - hence my post on here to see if there was any direct comparison between the two. Terry stated that "Plumbers dont like them"....well, why is that? Is it performance, ease of install, or is it a business issue? Based on my "experience" so far, I think I'm paying more just for the noise level (and I'm almost going to guess its a significant difference).

That being said, I decided to spend the extra $ so I ran over to Aurora Plumbing and picked up an Essential, and the guy sold me a 9 dollar "disposal jam tool" just to see if I could resussitate the old one. Out the door at a little over 300. Well, two minutes with the tool, and the WasteKing is alive again. One nice thing about buying local is being able to return items easily.

So all ended well for me on this one...

Umm lets see why we plumbers don't like them....

Because they are loud...
Because their mount stinks...
Because they often leak...
Because they often fail in the warranty period...
Because they are cheap junk...

Oh and did I mention they are loud.....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In the 50's, Waste King made the best disposers, and my one of choice was the Imperial Hush, but over the years the qualtiy has degraded, which is why I now use ISE disposers. And to be perfectly correct, and not upset GE with copyright infringements, only GE and Hotpoint make DISPOSALS®, that word is their copyright. Everyone else makes DISPOSERS.

Turbocruiser

Reaction score
I'm no expert but after extensive research I picked an ISE Space Saver Evolution Model 3/4 HP (if i remember right). It was extremely easy to install, it has had no problems whatsoever with whatever I throw through it ( I do avoid putting anything like bones in it) and it is really pretty quiet. A sort of silly thing that helped me make my mind is that they seemed to have the selection of stainless steel, brass, copper etc flanges one would want to match their kitchen faucets and fixtures. Another thing was the mount; I just heard all sorts of stuff about the WK being fiddly and how it wouldn't work well with other flange options. The previous model was a Badger (a lower line of ISE if i remember right) 1/3 HP and it lasted a long time also with no worries so this new one should serve me well I would think. Hope that helps.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here are two builder grade disposers. The small one is Wasteking I think, that ones being chucked. The larger one is a Badger Five from Insinkerator. Though I've seen my share of the Badger 1's in new homes too.
I never install less then the Badger 5, and really prefer the Evolution or PRO seriers from Insinkerator.

And a better upgrade disposer

index.php

Attachments

• wasteking_badger.jpg
    wasteking_badger.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 6,381
Last edited:

Wraujr

Reaction score
Well I certainly appreciate the professional advice you guys give and I know your experience is first hand, BUT

What I can't get my head straight on is all the negative reviews about Badger 1/5/10 leaking water/cracking after a few years. There are many, many people saying they won't buy another because theirs cracked and leaked.

I am trying to replace a 1/3HP GE that saw little use and only soft food use that lasted 17 years (bearings have frozen) but never leaked. I got no problem with a motor going bad, but cracks and water leaks can do real damage. Noise is fine as ours sees little and light duty use (personally, I don't believe in sending food waste down the drain).

I have a small space requirement (diameter less than 6.5") so am looking at Badger 5 vs. WK 1001. Unfortunately, no room for wider Evolution series from ISE.

Are you real plumbers saying you're not seeing the Badger 5 crack/leak after a few years (3-4)???

Repeatedly reviewers state their housing cracked, not just one or two, and always after a few years. There are a lot of reviews not just a couple sour grapes. Would love nothing more than ease of going into Lowes a picking up a Badger 5, but these leak comments are a red flag. Could beleive that Evolution series is a different design, less prone to cracking, but its too wide for my app without a total redo of supply and DWV under sink.....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I haven't seen any problems with the badger models they have been making for the last 10 years of so since the switched from the blue/grey colored ones to the black ones. The older blue/grey ones had an aluminum housing that ran into corrosion problems with some dishwasher detergents.

I frankly don't care much about the reviews on any site that sells something. For some reason the accuracy seems to suffer to make the sale.
I once bought a Top Rated Kitchen Aid Coffee Maker only to have it be the only one I have ever had to own a back up coffee maker while I had it. I received 4 or 5 replacements each time with them claiming the problem was solved and finally they gave me a new upgrade model which also failed. When I wanted coffee ready I wanted the timer to turn it on and make the damn coffee. I didn't want to go downstairs and find ERR 04 instead of a steaming pot already. Funny but my comment on the coffee pot got deleted instead of posted....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbers have been installing Insinkerator disposers for decades. It's the brand that the plumber prefer, and from my experience, you can expect eight years or more from them.
My basic disposer replacement is the Badger Five.
The upgrade disposers are the Evolution Series by Insinkerator.

Disposers are a good percentage of our business.

By the way, like Redwood mentions, most homeowners have no idea how old their disposers are. I find many homeowners with the original disposers still in place, but when you ask them, Oh yeah, just a few years old. And yet the homes are ten plus years and they don't remember ever replacing a disposer.
They don't replace themselves.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The real problem with a Badger 5 is that they keep running for YEARS after the cutting system is worn out and the unit should be replaced. There are also millions of disposers out there which are worn out, but because they still run the owners think they are working properly.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Occasionally, I have a customer purchase a Waste King online in their search for the best deal. I never warmed up to them. It comes with a cord which plugs into a switched outlet under the sink. Problem is, there ain't no stinking switched outlet under the sink. Locally they are all hardwired. You have to open the bottom of this thing up and cut out the existing electrical connections and grommets, etc, then connect the wires in an unfriendly space and replace the cover.
If the standard procedure was to have a switched outlet under the sink to plug in the disposer, that's fine, but that's not the case in my neck of the woods. I don't go out to do a disposer expecting to install an outlet under the sink for it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks