Garage sink

Users who are viewing this thread

LAURIE LANDRUM

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this...

I have a spigot in my garage with a french drain. I want to move the spigot up the wall and put in a utility sink. I wonder how to do that with the drain. It currently has a heavy triangular shaped cover over it, and when I remove it there is just gravel in there. Are there fittings or something that are used to secure the drain from the sink in that hole?

Also, are there some kind of filters or traps that can collect the crap that goes down the sink so it doesn't just collect and make a mess on that gravel? I would put a screen over the drain in the sink, but small particles could still sneak thru that and build up.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
That spigot was made to be sparingly used, to rinse gardening sundires or filling a bucket of water.

Of course you can extend your water source to anywhere you want on the wall, but I am not sure about continuous gallons of running water hitting over your french drain.

Have you done any tests? Like fill a garbage bin full of water, and tip that over the gravel? It all disappears?

There's no such thing as a "small particle drain filter", just what you always find for kitchen sinks to stop larger pieces of brocolli going down there.

LAURIE LANDRUM

Reaction score
I have not tested it like that. I'll try it to see how well it drains. This would not be a highly used sink; mostly to clean my paint brushes and pallets. If it does handle the water, then is there a way to secure the sink drain pipe to the french drain opening? (I'm sorry I have no idea what the pieces and parts are called, so I hope I make sense.)

Reaction score
If your french drain survives a tsunami test from tipping over a water filled 50 gallon garbage bin, then all you really need is some gutter system to direct water from your utlity sink to your gravel.

Everything you are doing is non-pressurized, out in the open, so you can use anything to direct your sink to whereever you want it to go. Swiss Family Robinson style.

Look up: Plumb Pak Flexible Tailpiece. It's an accordian and you can bend it to taste.

That will attach to the included hardware when you get your sink. And may want to choose a rather small utility sink, otherwise folks may use it to soak and wash clothes in there, pets, etc.

If you want to keep your gravel pretty, you can always put an old towel over it to catch nasties and let the rest soak down.

Last edited:

LAURIE LANDRUM

Reaction score
Thank you, @standardairconditioner, I will look that up and perform the tsunami test. :) I am also looking at the smallest of utility sinks.

@Terry, no there is unfortunately no other drain option. I was pretty disappointed to find the french drain when I removed the cover. I always thought it was not within code to have a french drain in the garage. This is a new construction townhome, so I guess it was okay (and I'm in Utah, not Cali...not sure why that is my avatar image).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you're asking for problems if you do this. Washing water based paint brushes would coat the gravel and be problematic, plus, no guarantees that something toxic might be dumped there, or something that could end up smelling really nasty over the long term. Your local building inspector probably wouldn't endorse it, either. It would sort of be like dumping sewage on the ground. There are rules about dumping grey water. Overflow from say filling a bucket, not an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks