Garage Rough-In Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Joshua5438

Reaction score
I am trying to layout my plumbing for a shop I am building. Building location is Greenville SC. Floor will be a 4" slab so trying to get a game plan together now. All four fixtures will be on an exterior wall. I am trying to figure out the best drain layout and how to vent. I will only have one supply line coming in (3/4" PEX). From my research this is what I have come up with and would like to know your thoughts...

Toilet will have a 4" to 3" 90 and then a 3x3x2 WYE at the wall for the vent, then the drain will exit the structure to be tied into the septic system. I will have the sink drain into the wet vent for the toilet. Then I will have a 2" P-trap under the shower then a 2x2x2 WYE at the wall for the vent, then the drain will exit the structure to be tied into the septic system. I will have the utility sink drain into the wet vent for the shower. The sewer line will run along the back of the structure to the septic tank. I am thinking a WYE with a clean out behind the toilet (once outside) and connect to a WYE behind the shower (outside) and then continue down to the septic. Does that sound like a reasonable plan of action?

I am also researching on if a blockout is needed around the shower P-trap? I see some pour around the pipe and other make a 1' blockout?

And lastly, do I need to wrap the pipes where they will be touching concrete, and if so, what is the best wrap to use?

Below are a few sketches I have made.

Blue lines are Vents
Red lines are drains

iso (1).PNG
plan.PNG

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bathroom lav can wet vent the toilet.
The laundry sink can't wet vent the shower. The shower and tub need their own vents because wet venting is for bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink, washers and laundry tubs are not part of that.

Joshua5438

Reaction score
The bathroom lav can wet vent the toilet.
The laundry sink can't wet vent the shower. The shower and tub need their own vents because wet venting is for bathroom fixtures and kitchen sink, washers and laundry tubs are not part of that.

So, if I make the laundry tub have its own 2" drain and vent, everything else should be fine?

Any thoughts on the shower block out and the pipe wrap?

Last edited:

Joshua5438

Reaction score
Here are my updated thoughts -

For Toilet -
4" stub up to a 4" to 3" 90 / 3" pipe to 3x3x2 Wye / 2" stub up from Wye for vent (wet vent for sink) / 3" pipe to exterior of building

For Vanity -
2" P-Trap / 2" pipe to 2" 90 into wall / 2" pipe to 2x2x2 sanitary tee (into wet vent from toilet)

For Shower -
12" block out for under shower / 2" P-Trap / 2" pipe to 2x2x2 sanitary tee / 2" stub up from tee for vent / 2" pipe to exterior of building

For Laundry Sink -
2" P-Trap / 2" pipe to 2x2x2 sanitary tee in wall / 2" pipe up for vent pipe / 2" pipe down to 2" long sweep 90 / 2" pipe to exterior of building

I have decided to wrap all the pipes where they contact concrete. I also plan to drive a piece of rebar at the stub outs and tape them together for stability for when the concrete is poured. Thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks