garage loft

Users who are viewing this thread

Teamo

Reaction score
My detached garage is 14x24. I am planning on putting a storage loft up for half of the garage which will be about 12x14. I am planning on using 1/2 inch plywood or osb for the floor of the loft. Will 2x8's be strong enough for the 14 foot span? It won't be for any really heavy storage. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those joists weren't designed for a load - they calculate at L/200 or less, depending on species, could be less. That's really bouncy if you walk on it. What's the spacing?

If they're 16" OC, you could probably store empty packing material, but really, they weren't designed for any load.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Using SPF#2 you'll have to space 2x8's at 12" on center for an attic with storage. If you use 2x10's you can space them at 24", but you'll need to use 3/4" plywood.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
load

If they are spruce and 16" centers, you can store about 10 #/ft dead load, 30#/ft live load. The actual capacity depends on the joist material, its condition, and the joist spacing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks