Garage Laundry Faucet washers / stem packing questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

The laundry faucet in my garage drips and leaks out the stem shafts when on.

Its most likely from the late 1950s or 1960s.

I guess it needs new washers and bonnet packing.

Have a few detailed questions and they might be ignorant:

1. Any idea what washer size this faucet takes?

2. Is there a bonnet packing piece to get or do I need to use some of the string rope?

3. If I use the string rope should I use the black graphite type or the Danco white teflon stem packing material?

4. If I use the string / rope type approximately how many inches should each stem get?

5. If I need to replace the entire faucet does anyone have a recommended replacement? A link would be nice. Note: I believe it is slightly more or less tan an 8 inch spread so an adjustable one would be needed.

Thanks

garagefaucet1.jpg
garagefaucet2.jpg

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I doubt the seat the washer seals against is replaceable and if it is rough the faucet is shot. You can check the seat by sliding the blade of a screwdriver along it, it is easier to feel flaws than see them. You should be able to look inside at the seat, if the hole in the center is round it can't be changed. A round hole and a bad seat means new faucet time. If you want to try and fix it get a washer assortment and some string packing (not bad things to have on hand with an older home).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks