Gap Between Acrylic Wall and Drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

Outdoorbum

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions on how to fill a 2.5 " gap between the top of an acrylic shower wall and the existing drywall. I understand the smart thing to do is probably rip out the dry wall and install hardi or greeenboard from the ceiling down to the top of the wall, but I was hoping to avoid that if possible.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Depends on the finish wall you want. If it's paint only, fill in the gap with drywall and mud over it. It might be easier to open the gap a few more inches for easier handling and finishing.

Is the acrylic mounted directly on the wall studs or surfaced mounted on hardi board or green board?

Last edited:

Outdoorbum

Reaction score
Depends on the finish wall you want. If it's paint only, fill in the gap with drywall and mud over it. It might be easier to open the gap a few more inches for easier handling and finishing.

Is the acrylic mounted directly on the wall studs or surfaced mounted on hardi board or green board?

Directly to the studs, so now that I look at it, drywall over the shower wall flange will not sit flush with the existing drywall. Its a 1/4" flange so maybe 1/4" hardi would do the trick?

Outdoorbum

Reaction score
So I just tore out the drywall to the ceiling and will do Hardie from the ceiling down to the top of the shower walls. Can Hardie be waterproofed on top and painted?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks