galvanized V. poly for submersible

Users who are viewing this thread

aleon

Reaction score
I am removing with difficulty a submersible pump that is 21 years old and has failed. It is in a 300' deep well with 6" casing. The drop pipe is 21 year old (or more) galvanized 1-1/4" 20'joints. I have yet to pull it all. I am a diy farmer type. I don't know how much drop pipe there is. If I ever get it out I'm considering replacing with poly. Is this a good idea. Is there any advantage to using galvanized. Any disadvantage to poly?

R

Rancher

Depends on where the pump is located, I'm thinking 300' on poly is probably it's outer limit, 200' is doable. And your galvanized is 21' lenghts.

Rancher

aleon

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I will find out how deep the former pump was soon. Is poly easier to pull by hand (or winch) if repairs are needed?

Raucina

Reaction score
I just set 300' of poly in a well. Use 200 PSI and the longest brass or SS hose barbs around. Do a search and several come up - you want three plus clamps on the pipe that was dipped in hot water for a minute before the insertion. Use ONE piece of pipe, no joints. You can pull it by hand.

R

Rancher

Thanks for the reply. I will find out how deep the former pump was soon. Is poly easier to pull by hand (or winch) if repairs are needed?
Yes, I use a winch for 100' but have pulled it before by hand.

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pumps set on 500' of poly with no problems.I pulled one out of a well 2 weeks ago that was set at 600' on 1" 160 poly. I have never heard of the hot water thing and it sounds primitive. Just get yourself a torch and heat the inside of the pipe to a point where you can just barely squeeze the pipe and then insert the fitting.

Sammy

R

Rancher

I have never heard of the hot water thing and it sounds primitive. Just get yourself a torch and heat the inside of the pipe to a point where you can just barely squeeze the pipe and then insert the fitting.
A torch, come on Sammy even you know that can disrupt the polymerization of the plastic to a point that it will become brittle in the future, if you want something faster than hot water, then a heat gun or hair drier might be acceptable, but never a torch on plastic pipe.

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rancher,how are you doing? With all do respect,the method of heating poly pipe with a torch is a standard method that is used widely by all people in the water well,plumbing,and irrigation business. I have never seen an irrigation guy,plumber, or well guy dragging a heated pot of water around while plumbing in a system using poly pipe. Although it could be used,I have never seen anyone use a hair dryer or heat gun either. I'm not picking a fight either.I'm simply making it a point that Its just not common practice in our business.

Sammy

Speedbump

Reaction score
Egadddddssss, we all use torches. Where did you guys go to Poly School?

Nobody said you had to cook the pipe, just warm it up. A torch works great if you know what you are doing.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
"A torch works great if you know what you are doing."

The "if you know what you are doing" part is very important. You don't let the flame touch the pipe, just the heat from it. Maybe we shouldn't recommend a torch to the DIYers. Hot water or a heat gun is safer if you have never used a torch to do this before. A torch in the hands of a professional can make beautiful connections.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have pumps set on 500' of poly with no problems.I pulled one out of a well 2 weeks ago that was set at 600' on 1" 160 poly. Sammy

The pressure stress in the drop pipe doesn't depend on the depth to the pump; it depends on the depth to the water in the well plus the pressure at the head of the well.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I fully expect a beginning sprinkler tech to screw up a few poly connections by overheating, but the screwup won't have a pump dropping off a pipe down a well. So the DIY crowd might want to go with the water torture.

(didja know that the Surefire self-lighting torch came with a lifetime guarantee? - before sprinkler guys got their grubby hands on them)

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I fully understand what puts the stress on the poly pipe. The deeper the drawdown in the well, the more stress will be applied. I also know that the last pumped i pulled that was set at 600' on poly pipe, was in the well for 25 years and the well only produced 4 gallons per minute. They had an irrigation system and six people living in the house. To me that spells out alot of drawdown and alot of stress on that pipe but no problems with the pipe itself,just a bad motor.

Sammy

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The idea that softening poly pipe with a torch, without melting it, will damage the polyethylene is disproven by the fact that one of the reliable and professional ways of joining poly pipe is to MELT the ends and butt them together.

Of couse if it is softened so much that it is virtually cut off with the clamp, all bets are off. But that is a problem only if the installer overlooks the fact that the clamp is being buried in the over-softened pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks