Galvanized Tank Keeps Water Logging

Users who are viewing this thread

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
I have a submersible pump with a galvanized tank that keeps getting water logged. If i take the plug out of the top of the tank and drain it, it operates normally for about a week and then starts short cycling again. I can't find any leaks and I am sealing the plug in the top well when re-installing. There is a shraeder valve in the float valve fitting if that means anything. The tank is inside and in excellent condition. No rust.

Any suggestions? Draining the tank is a royal pain and i am worried about my pump motor.

Thanks,

Dave

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a solution without draining the tank.

When the pressure is at the minimum setting where the pump starts, and with the power off, add AIR through the Schrader valve until the pressure reaches the shutoff pressure. You will want a compressor for this because it is a lot of pumping with a bicycle pump.

Alternatively; turn off the power and use all of the water in the tank. Then fill it with air to the pump START pressure.

If you put in too much air it will come out through a faucet the next time the pressure drops.

If the air is properly maintained your tank will have the same drawdown capacity as a bladder tank of the same size.

If you have a sight gauge on the tank it is easier to maintain the proper air level.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The float thing with the Schrader valve is an Air Volume Control or AVC. With a Galv tank and a AVC, surely there is a bleeder orifice in the well and a check valve before the tank, that should also have a Schrader valve on it. This check valve is probably not working. If this external check valve with the Schrader valve is not working, the bleeder in the well can't open and add air each time the pump starts. Air always mixes with the water and leaves the tank. You will never get ahead with a compressor. You need to get the bleeder/check valve/Schrader system working or switch to a bladder style tank that does not need a regular air charge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks