Galvanized steel. Need advice on this pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

leelee77

Reaction score
Hi guys, I noticed this pipe in my plumbing closet looks kind of damaged. Can someone give me an idea what is going on with it and if it is in danger of breaking? I think it has looked like this a long time but I just realized maybe I shouldn't be ignoring it? This is the pipe that comes out of my tankless water heater.

Attachments

• galv-pipe.jpg
    galv-pipe.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 293

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rust build up and reduced pressure in galvanized pipes should not be ignored. In my city, we've been replacing SS iron pipes with other types since the 70s, primarily copper.

It's your call: replace your pipes now or later. If you ever sell your house, your buyer will ask for an allowance for new pipes for sure.

So why wait? I would replace it now and enjoy clean water once again.

leelee77

Reaction score
Is the inside of the pipe likely in as bad of shape as the outside?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the inside of the pipe likely in as bad of shape as the outside?
It's hard to say for sure, but yes, it could be that or much worse. IMHO, galvanized piping should never be used in potable water situations. Hot pipes using it tend to wear out faster than cold, but both will eventually rust out. The galvanizing is never perfect, and when the pipe is cut and then threaded, you cut away or through the galvanized layer, so there's nothing to prevent the iron in it from rusting. It has better luck in areas like heating systems that are essentially closed so while they rust, until new water with dissolved oxygen is introduced, it becomes stable since the oxygen isn't being replenished. In a potable water system, there is constantly new oxygen being introduced to the system from the supply, so rusting can be continuous. Heating the water can drive out some of that dissolved oxygen, making it readily available to rust the iron components.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks