Galvanized Since Waste Pipe Replacement/Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I recently went to a place with 46 leaks in their gas lines. The threads were fine, fittings fine. We checked and checked. I reassembled most of the piping with tape and dope and not a leak.

What happens over time as the piping moves is the threads will leak if they aren't made up as far as they should be. The tape is a secondary seal and the dope helps the tape slide into the joint.
Use blue block as Permatex does crack overtime Hercules Here I removed a gas meter and the building owner said "Why it doesn't leak"

Attachments

• METER.jpg
    METER.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 69

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A 32 inch pipe wrench would help, but two of them would help a lot more. Right? I expect when you were tightening the pipes for real, it was pretty much always two wrenches.

People using short wrenches are going to have a hard time getting good torque.
I never saw a 32" wrench BUT I have chain tongs that are about 32" my pipe wrenches are 18" 24" 38" and 48" and 60" . There was someone holding back with a 4 ft wrench

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
fixed many many leaks but never were they attributed to lack of both tape and dope. im a strong beliver in using both but goods threads fittings and pipe screwed together tight enough dont leak especially not dozens of leaks in a system in my experiance. because something isnt just right using both minimizes leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks