Galvanized Pipes rusting

Users who are viewing this thread

jeanette

Reaction score
Have any of you plumbers experienced poor quality pipes from China put in homes around 1992? We are being told this is the cause of rusty pipes we have.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First off, galvanized pipes are ancient technology for plumbing for the very reason you have found. Galvanized pipe is just steel pipe that is coated with zinc to slow the rusting. It doesn't prevent it. Second, Chinese products are questionable quality. So, now what? Time machine back to 1992 and insist on copper. Since Dr. Wonmug's time machine is tied up with Alley Oop in Moo, the next thing is either a repipe with copper, or PEX. Neither will be cheap or easy. Unless most of the pipes are exposed like in a basement, copper is almost out of the question. PEX is probably the best way to go. It is not a DIY job not matter which medium you chose. I would urge you to seek several plumbing contractors and get their evaluation of the problem and recommendations along with estimates.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You did not say what kind of piping was in your house. We stopped using galvanized pipe in the late 70's. Are you seeing rust in the water, or rust on the piping?

jeanette

Reaction score
You did not say what kind of piping was in your house. We stopped using galvanized pipe in the late 70's. Are you seeing rust in the water, or rust on the piping?
We are told we have galvanized pipes that are rusting because they were not a good quality. The house was built in Fresno, California by a reputable builder and I'm sure it was plumbed to code. In the last 3 years we are seeing more and more rust in the water when we turn on the faucets. The house was built in 1992. Most of my neighbors are having the same problem. One neighbor had new pipes put in her whole house and the plumber showed her pipes that were corroded. Were our building codes that ridiculously antiquated? Now, 23 years later, they use plastic.
I really appreciate all your comments.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Galvanized pipe is still permitted to be used, but with all the better options available, you won't find anyone installing it.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it were my house, I would re-pipe (with copper) and install a whole house filter.
The other choice would be to do nothing.
Your choice.
Start by getting estimates, or DIY.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Galvanized iron pipe has a relatively short service life in potable water supply lines compared to any of the other commonly available piping. The galvanized coating is never perfect, is cut away or damaged at the threads, and potable water has some dissolved oxygen in it, constantly available to rust the exposed iron. IMHO, I'd never use it on potable water, although it can be used in certain HVAC applications. Your house may have been built when there was a world-wide copper shortage, and the prices spiked, making builders look for a less expensive option (I don't remember the timeframe, but it happens periodically). The only way to fix this is to repipe the house...it will only get worse. The worse point will come when the internal has rusted enough to reduce the volume, the flakes end up clogging the aerators and damaging the cartridges and washers of valves, or, just starts to leak though pinholes. The next earthquake might just shake things enough to give you massive problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks