FVIR Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I am planning to install an A.O. Smith Vertex 100 direct-vent water heater or the Vertex power-vent gas water heater. I have looked at their web site to determine if they will have problems related to the FVIR debacle. I cannot tell if they use this technology. The direct vent doesn't seem to since it gets all of it's combustion air from outside. (However; it is $500 more than the power vent model.) It makes sense the power vent model would utilize some form of this technology since it pulls it's combustion air from around the water heater, but I cannot tell. I do not trust that advice from the manufacturer would be objective.

I am looking hard at one of these units because of their fast recovery (100,000 btus) and high efficiency (95% and 90% respectively). Does anyone have experience with one or both of these models?

I am also using it as a heat source for my radiant heat system in my slab. They both have inlet/outlets for this purpose separate from the standard domestic supply. Since I am in the panhandle of Florida, my btu demand for heat will be low and a boiler/indirect water heater option seems to be overkill.

I appreciate your time and experience.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
No specific experience with that model, but FVIR does not yet apply at the 100,000 BTU level, I think.

A.O. Smith is not the favorite company of most folks around here.

Do you currently have the gas supply adequate to support 100,000 BTU?

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
I have not installed the gas line yet. Before you ask, I used to be a real plumber back in the 90's. Here in Florida, you are able to construct all aspects of your own home, so a current license is not required. I know intermediate pressure flexible lines with unit regulators is all the rage, but I do not trust it. I am installing what I know, all black iron. I love to thread.:D

But that was back when I had all the big boy tools including a burly Ridgid pipe motor. :eek:

Has anyone had to service one of these Vertex units? Is there any history, good or bad?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks