Furnace Starts up Choppy

Users who are viewing this thread

Nin28

Reaction score
I have a furnace that when its starting up it is very choppy but then eventually gets going and runs normally. I hear the burner turning on and off and smell diesel afterward. I've tried bleeding the line of air and no air really comes out, just the flow of fuel stops and then starts up again. I have an above ground tank lying horizontally, which is half full, and there are two 1/2" lines coming off the top of it. In the spring I used the "water worm" (http://www.h2ocontrol.com/productsWaterWorm.php) to get rid of any water lying on the bottom of the tank. I also replaced the filter in case that was clogging things up. It has been very cold and it started about a week ago. I'm wondering if some ice formed somewhere in the system, but I'm not really sure. Any suggestion are very much appreciated.

Nin28

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, it turned out when I replaced my 1/4" pipes with 1/2" the plumbers fed the copper into a pair of 3/4 inch steel pipes. The only thing is, they only put the copper pipes 3/4 of the way down the steel pipes and when the oil got below a 1/4 tank it essentially was out of oil. So when the furnace would initially start up, there was only fuel in the lines and once that was exhausted, until the pump managed to create enough of a vacuum in the tank get the fuel up the steel pipes, the furnace would sporadically get fuel. Eventually once things were flowing the furnace ran smoothly without issue. The heating guy ended up cutting the lines to find this out and resolve the issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks