Funky Smell in "Freshly Washed" clothes

Users who are viewing this thread

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
cols said:
:eek: EEK !!!! No, No !!! Don't do that. I NEVER have a smelly issue with my Maytag Neptune. It's the best piece of equipment I own. I'm talkin' of ALL the tools I use (and believe me, I have some "prized possessions)
They are water efficient/detergent effecient and energy efficient. PLUS you tell me what other AW you can stick 22 feet of yacht braid rope into with no problems AND it comes out sparkling clean. I think everyone should own a Neptune ! ;)

I was about to purchase a HE front loader. I researched things by going to epinions and was surprsied to learn about the mildew problem on many front loaders.

That did it for me. The idea of my wife (or me) bending over to get the laundry from the front loader to the dryer made me think about going to a top loader.

I purchased a Fisher & Paykel top loader and wrote a review in January 2006 at epinions. You might find that review helpful: http://www.epinions.com/content_218574524036.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Terry said:
I use very little soap with these too.
I think the people that sell the soap would like you to use more.
But I don't.

Yup. That's the down fall of those concentrated dishwashing soaps. They're smaller because you only need a drop or two. But who can't help but give it a hefty squeeze? :)

Jason

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
ToolsRMe said:
That did it for me. The idea of my wife (or me) bending over to get the laundry from the front loader to the dryer made me think about going to a top loader.
What? You don't like it when she bends over? Gosh...I remember dropping something on the floor just so they would have to bend over. Almost as good as the ole, 'I bet you can't touch your elbows behind your back.' :)

ToolsRMe said:
I purchased a Fisher & Paykel top loader and wrote a review in January 2006 at epinions. You might find that review helpful: http://www.epinions.com/content_218574524036.

Blue Box guy (yes, their employees suck) sweared it up and down (and left and right and forward and reverse), so I bought one. I went online, read reviews and called and canceled the order. Went over to Sears and got a nice convensional Kenmore washer and dryer. Love it.

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
Lakee911 said:
What? You don't like it when she bends over? Gosh...I remember dropping something on the floor just so they would have to bend over. Almost as good as the ole, 'I bet you can't touch your elbows behind your back.' :)

I've been married too long.

Lakee911 said:
Blue Box guy (yes, their employees suck) sweared it up and down (and left and right and forward and reverse), so I bought one. I went online, read reviews and called and canceled the order. Went over to Sears and got a nice convensional Kenmore washer and dryer. Love it.

So what did you not like in the reviews about the Fisher & Paykel? Like you, I happen to love my washer and dryer.

The Lowes saleslady also swore the F&P (and the GE Duet) up and down. She said that she personally owned the F&P. I came back a week later and asked her what she owned and she told me that it was the F&P. She either had a good memory or she really owned the F&P.

K123

Reaction score
The 20-year old washer died on us. The new one I bought is one of the new Kenmore HE4T front-loader High Capacity HE washers. Really great washer. Sounds like the booster engine on a cruise missile when it starts to wind up for its spin cycle. I think the old washer used as much as 42 gallons per load. This one uses something like 14.

The very best news is the load it takes off my septic system. NO MORE damp or soggy soil in the front yard ever since I got the new washer.

The Bad: My clothes smell like old vomit. Yeah. When I grab a "clean" polo shirt or T-Shirt and pull it over my head, I can smell a funky smell. My wife said she probably needs to change her fabric softener. I tend to think that no one sells fabric softener that smells like that so I'm not persuaded that this will be the fix. Does anyone know what might cause this? I'm wondering if the very low amount of water used to clean clothes in these HE washers results in clothes that end up smelling, . . uhhh, different.

K123

Reaction score
The Bad: My clothes smell like old vomit. Yeah. When I grab a "clean" polo shirt or T-Shirt and pull it over my head, I can smell a funky smell. My wife said she probably needs to change her fabric softener. I tend to think that no one sells fabric softener that smells like that so I'm not persuaded that this will be the fix. Does anyone know what might cause this? I'm wondering if the very low amount of water used to clean clothes in these HE washers results in clothes that end up smelling, . . uhhh, different.

If your clean laundry smells like vomit when you put it on, it is because your clothing is NOT CLEAN. The bacteria have not been killed. The front loading HE washers have reduced the water use so much and the push for cold water wash has combined to cause inadequate killing of bacteria.
Yes you can clean your washer and you probably should.
Yes you can and should leave the washer door open to dry out between loads.
Yes you should wipe out the gasket to prevent mold.
But, the bottom line is the washer is not significantly killing bacteria in the clothing. You must use the hot setting and you must experiment with vinegar and or baking soda with the loads until the problem is solved.
I never had the sour clean clothes smell problem with my old top loading washer, the clothes were cleaned adequately.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You realize this thread is more than a decade old, right?

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
Its likely not the machine its the user. To much soap. Your cloths get saturated and then stink. You could likely wash without soap your cloths already have enough in them. No more that 2tablespoons of HE soap. I would maybe wash some of your cloths without soap for at least 1 time.

TheresaH

Reaction score
The 20-year old washer died on us. The new one I bought is one of the new Kenmore HE4T front-loader High Capacity HE washers. Really great washer. Sounds like the booster engine on a cruise missile when it starts to wind up for its spin cycle. I think the old washer used as much as 42 gallons per load. This one uses something like 14.

The very best news is the load it takes off my septic system. NO MORE damp or soggy soil in the front yard ever since I got the new washer.

Hey, I know this post was from 2006, but I wanted to comment because I've been having this problem for over a year now and I think this info may be helpful to someone searching for it... We have a Samsung front loading washer.
Much of what I take out of the closet that was put away washed (doesn't matter if it was hung to dry or dried in the dryer) smells like vomit. I started doing some watching... Here's what I realized. What is washed when the washing machine is dry inside does NOT smell after washing, but if I do several loads in a row the later loads will smell when I take them out of the closet later. So... we had to replace the ball bearings on our washing machine and when we took it apart, there was so much gunk built up on the flange shaft assembly that you couldn't see the holes in the part. They were full. I scraped most of the crud, but it would have taken too long to scrub it and we needed our machine back. I thought it would be better than having the gunk on there but the smell has gotten worse since I scraped it off. So, we are replacing the part with a new one in hopes that will cure the smell... Here's a photo of what it looked like after I scraped most of the gunk off. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to let you know if it helped!

Attachments

• IMG_9480.JPG
    IMG_9480.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_9479.JPG
    IMG_9479.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 209

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Samsung front loader that has an optional wash mode where it literally adds silver ions to the water which kills bacteria, even when running it on cold cycles. I also try to leave the door open at least overnight to let the door seal and whatever else can air out and dry before I close it (usually, the next morning). My clothes do not smell, and, I think get cleaner with less wear than my previous top loader.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks