Funky Sink Trap Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
New sink - Stem drain moved
Look at the pics and you will see that the new sink drain doesn't come down into the trap.
1. What is the best way to fix/move this?
2. Also, how do I get the nut off the trap in the upclose photo? It just kept spinning....

TIA,
Molo

Attachments

• trap2100_0658.jpg
    trap2100_0658.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 434
  • trap3 100_0659.jpg
    trap3 100_0659.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 432
  • trap100_0655.jpg
    trap100_0655.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 425

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Um... it's called an offset, basically two elbows to get the pipe to where you need it.

You have a bigger problem, which is that this is an S-trap, as opposed to a P-trap, and that needs to be adressed (do a search of this forum for more info, I'm not sure where to start).

That nut looks loose, already. Did you try pulling up on the pipe?

Molo

Reaction score
Perhaps now is when I learn what to do with an S-trap. This is original plumbing. The current trap system goes into a galvanized pipe at the bottom of the cabinet (in photo). Do I need to rebuild the trap system?

TIA,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you've loosened that nut, you should be able to pull off the trap. Then the nut should just slide off, unless that S pipe is flanged, in which case, the nut must come off at the other end.

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
one way to solve this would be to rebuild with a mechanical vent (air admitance valve, AAV), although it may not be legal in your area.

here's one way. from bottom to top, remove the chrome riser and nut, install 1.5" galvanized coupler, PVC male adapter, pvc pipe, santee with AAV at least 6" above. the horizontal part of the santee is then used for a conventional P-trap with pvc trap adapter. This pvc riser can easily be oriented to recieve the sinks tailpiece and P-trap.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
why a San Tee, explained.

that picture in that thread was later improved on. Scroll down that thread.

to make it clear,
- a Sanitary Tee is needed. It makes the horizontal piece coming out of the P trap connect just right to the vented "stack" (vertical drain pipe)
- using a Wye and a 1/8th bend, or a Combo (Wye and 45 degree), is not good because waste water begins dropping down and gaining speed before venting. Before water starts falling, gaining speed and sucking air behind it as it advances, vents are required. Venting needs to be connected / applied / made available / before the drop.

david

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks