Full flow ball valve for PEX???

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
3/4" PEX supply line to home water heater instructions say full flow valve. I want to put a 1/4 turn ball valve on the water heater supply. Are the valves that have the crimp style PEX made on them OK or do I need to use a valve that's threaded and install brass adapters to PEX in it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot to debate on the subject but Sure a full port ball valve either barbed for pex or female threads both ends your choice.

Eman85

Reaction score
Problem is I don't see any barbed end valves listed as full port or full flow. Obviously threaded 3/4" ball valves have a larger bore but it's all getting choked down with the adapter fitting and the PEX itself. Any recommendation on a barbed full port valve?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I googled full port pex ball valve for water heater they come right up with 3/4 male on one side? I had no trouble finding them

Eman85

Reaction score
I did the google and did see some. I saw Eastman is a double barbed PEX full port which is the same company as Sharkbite. I called them and they confirmed their valves are full port.
I only want to do this job once. I'm taking out a WH that was installed by "professionals", the more I know the more they did wrong.
I appreciate the responses and advice. I'm far from a plumber but worked in a trade all of my life and appreciate good correctly done work.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dont think it makes a hill of beans differance but double ended is my last choice unless you are connecting pex directly to the water heater and that would be my other last choice. I use corrugated stainless flex connectors and If I was using pex Id use a male adapter on the hot with 18 inch flex on cold Id put a barb x3/4 male full port ball valve followed by a 18 inch 3/4 nut x nut flex as well. Or on cold put a 3/4 barb x 3/4 male adapter and screw a standard 3/4 ball valve on followed by 3/4 brass nipple and then the flex to heater. Then if you evewr need to change ball valve you just unscrew it . the double barb is a ugly choice but Im just trying to make a clean install for you it reall dosent mater but the less plastic and those funky joints the better my opinion especialy when exposed but we insulate the first 5 foot here any way.

Eman85

Reaction score
Yes, I'm going with 18" SS corrugated flex connectors. Can you put the ball valve right at the heater? Then the flex?
When you sat you insulate the first 5 foot does that mean you insulate the SS flex connectors also?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Flex goes at w/h then the valve. the insulation is california energy requirement most / or many guys dont put insulation over the flex but technicaly we are supposed to we mainly have gas water heaters and its supposed to be 6 inches away from the single wall vent connector so its generally not too strict on the connectors being covered I really dont like covering the connectors but mostly I do

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks