Frustrated beyond belief with this well cap

Users who are viewing this thread

frustated ginger

Reaction score
Been trying for two days to get this well cap off! It's an older metal well cap ,we loosened the bolts, still can't get the lid off! It feels like it is cemented on we have tried to pry it out but the lid is somewhat recessed in the ground so hard to get at but tried to get between the metal where a gap is will a crowbar and hammer! Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20160322_143720.jpg
    20160322_143720.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 285

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That looks like a regular well seal. It doesn't just lift off. You need to take the pipe apart at the union and lift the whole pump and pipe out of the well at the same time as the well seal comes up. Depending on how deep the well is it could weigh hundreds of pounds. Looks like steel pipe in the well so even if it is only 20' deep you will need to lift that 20' of pipe straight up out of the well. Probably going to need a hoist truck.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
Steel pipe is 21' feet, I been saving them to cut up in 7' sections for building me some fencing on my 8acres.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah steel pipe is 21' if it hasn't been cut down for a 20' deep well. The reason that is important is that when pulling the pump straight up, the pipe is 21', the bell or nipple you attach to the pipe to lift with can be another foot long, then the block under a tripod will take at least another foot. So a tripod or some such device to pull the pump would need to be at least 24' tall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks