Frustrated about skirted toilet choices!

Users who are viewing this thread

DoseyDoe

Reaction score
We are seniors renovating our "family" bathroom. We are keeping the 26 year-old porcelain tile floor and not moving plumbing to save on costs. Problem is that we want a fully skirted toilet for easy cleaning but the water supply pipe comes out of the floor through a porcelain tile and is too close for any TOTO, which we hoped to get, except the Maris. Cutting the floor to move the pipe is not an option for us. When we installed a TOTO Vespin II base (Drake II tank) and Washlet a couple of years ago in our renovated first floor bath which also has a water supply out of the floor, through sheer dumb luck we were able to do it but the water supply just fit against the base! The escutcheon even had to be cut. In the bath we are redoing now, the water supply is 3 1/16" from the wall behind the toilet and about 5 1/4" from center of the toilet. We love our Vespin and would like a another TOTO but only the floor standing Maris will work because the bottom of the base stands away from the wall about 3 1/2 inches (curving up toward the wall but gently). The supply pipe will be right next to the base as it was in the other bathroom, but our contractor measure and said he can get it to work.

Questions are: Is this Maris, CST484CEMFG, a good TOTO? We know it is an older model but our showroom can still get them. We are not adding a bidet/washlet and not worried about the Maris not having a dedicated hole for cords or cleaning around cords if we eventually add a bidet seat--the toilet is in a corner by two walls so the left side is mostly hidden. We can get American Standard through our showroom which gives good discounts to our contractor, but they don't handle Kohler. Are there any good, but maybe not bulky-based, full-skirted American Standard toilets anyone can suggest looking at? Is it worth trying to buy Kohler online or is breakage in shipping a big issue?

Thanks so much for any advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not over a basement? A Toto Soiree base might cover the existing hole.

When you give distances from center line or wall, are you measuring to the center of the pipe or the edge of the pipe? 3/8 OD chromed tubing is big enough to supply a toilet.

If things almost fit, you can probably offset the new toilet to the right some.
Hypothetical puzzle-wise I would wonder if a pipe could come up under the toilet skirt, and some way to valve accessibly would be possible. Figuring that out in advance would not be practical.

DoseyDoe

Reaction score
Hi. No, the bathroom is on the second floor, over part of the kitchen actually. The Soiree doesn't look like it will work to me.

The distances are to the edge of the pipe. To the far edge of the pipe from the wall and to the near edge of the pipe from the center line of the toilet. My contractor said something about some flexible piping to help make the Maris work. But now I am seeing some worrisome negative reviews of the internal valves and flushing performance. I may be trying an American Standard.

I don't know enough (just a homeowner--and gardener--not even a DIY plumber except for bare basics like replacing sink cartridges and washers) to even think about your hypothetical. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks