Frozen well system - thought I fixed it, but now nothing?

Users who are viewing this thread

matth100

Reaction score
We have a lot of cold weather right now, -10 last night, and water stopped.

I spent a while today heating the pipes, and the well tank, and after a few hours got a flow of water from the tank to the water filter (rapidly filling the clear filter) I also managed to run some water out of the pipes from various valves along the way - pretty much thought it was all fixed.

Then suddenly the flow from the tank to the filter stops, I drain the filter to see if there is a flow and nothing, so the problem is isolated to the tank>filter or earlier in the pipeline.

Water pressure is showing over 100psi, and has always been this high since we moved to the house.

I'm trying to figure out how I could go from a situation where I have restored waterflow, and now have lost it again. It is still a little cold (10f) but I think that a 'refreeze' is unlikely, so perhaps it is mechanical on the pump system.

Are there any things to check that might help see if something has been tripped/burned out? Other things I looked at:

• Breaker is not flipped.
  • Pressure switch visual look, saw no ice inside the casing.
Thanks!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Are the points in the pressure switch closed or touching? The little nipple to the switch can still be frozen and not letting the switch close. Your gauge is probably bad. It will still say 100 when you take it off and have it in your hand. First sign of freezing.

matth100

Reaction score
Are the points in the pressure switch closed or touching? The little nipple to the switch can still be frozen and not letting the switch close. Your gauge is probably bad. It will still say 100 when you take it off and have it in your hand. First sign of freezing.

The switch contact points were touching, and power was moving through them.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may have pushed some ice along through the pipe from the well and it's blocking the check valve...

I know two great pump guys in Carmel if you need help.

matth100

Reaction score

I take it back, the nipple was frozen... I didn't realize what I was looking for. Dumped out a bunch of rusty ice... Nothing coming through yet though so wondering if there is more ice in the brass like part that the nipple is attached (photo)to on the piping. Applying heat.
image.jpeg

matth100

Reaction score
Just an update - while applying some heat and generally with warmer weather last night the water started flowing again. Unfortunately I forgot to leave a faucet open, so we had two pipes basically explode (the ends flew off in the laundry room, one of them shattered...) , and it looks like the line from the pump has a split in it... so lots more to do!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks