Frost Free Bib Install Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Blu

Reaction score
The plumber who originally worked on the house I recently purchased never placed the outside frost free hose bibs at an angle, so it would drain. This resulted in three(3) of the faucets to freeze. I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
The faucets are all on finished walls and the replacement internal pipe of the frost free bibs are not available. If I decide to replace these bibs is there anyway that this could be done without ripping the walls open. Would there be any slack that would allow me to pull the faucets out and install a new one?
Thanks,

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
Sorry but you will need to open the wall. I am never a fan of frost free hose bibbs if they are not installed with a slope then they will freeze and break. If the owner forgets to remove the hose then the they will freeze and break. Also a lot of people when they shut of the hose will continue turning the faucet even tho the faucet was shut some time ago but water keeps on coming, emptying the the line but the people think the faucet is dripping and keep on turning to the point that the washer is crushed. Then complain to me that the hose bibb is defective. I like the old fashion way with a stop and waste inside.

Blu

Reaction score
I guess if I have to open the wall, at least it can be corrected so that I won't have to go thru this again. I like the idea of a stop valve and drain put on a tee with the supply line. Only problem is this is not always convenient, especially when it is buried in the wall and gyproc'd over. Guess it can't be both ways.
Have a good day.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
arrowhead_freeze_proof_470.jpg

This is a new product.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks