Fridge water lines in new build

Users who are viewing this thread

El_Burro

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have been a lurker of this forum since I was a teenager tackling DIY projects in my parents house and now 16 years later I finally make an account LOL.

I am having a home built and have an issue I need to resolve with the refrigerator water lines.

The builder has used 1/4 copper tubing under the slab from nearby fixtures and expects to run the copper tube right out of the wall and into the fridge.
I have some issues with this setup.

1. It seems a bit mediocre
2. The refrigerator will be counter depth and it needs to be as close as possible to the wall.
3. I would imagine that a copper line would eventually work harden and break from just moving the fridge for cleaning etc.

I would like to have installed outlet boxes behind each fridge, but I notice these usually connect in wall to 1/2 inch PEX or copper.

In the kitchen most importantly, how can I go from 1/4 copper line to something compatible with an icemaker water outlet box?
The bathroom seems easy enough to correct and run PEX since there is a bathroom sink on the other side of the wall, But the kitchen has no adjoining walls with water. I have attached a picture showing fridge water lines and path of the 1/4 inch copper tube installed currently.

Can you guys give me some ideas so that I can be a step ahead of the builder? I feel they want to sweep this under the rug but water outlet boxes behind fridges were a goal of mine since it allows the use or serviceable/replaceable lines and allows for a flusher appliance install.

I'm all ears!

Cheers.

Waterline Fridge.JPG

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
All of my 4 homes built new alway had a 1/4" copper line and yes they just stick out of the wall. Never had one crimp or leak. However, my current home built in 2007 has a wall box. By far the best way and flexible SS hose with 3/8" fitting must be used. When HD delivered my refrigerator they insist on installing a new line ($) from the wall box to the refrigerator (liability I guess) and it was made of PEX.

Just google "ice maker box".

1668471115557.png
1668471139022.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Where I'm at icemaker boxes are installed with hammer arrestors. I would have had them run 1/2" to a icemaker box with a shutoff and a way to connect supply lines.
Sixteen years, it's good to have you here.:)

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

icemaker_rough_sno.jpg

El_Burro

Reaction score
All of my 4 homes built new alway had a 1/4" copper line and yes they just stick out of the wall. Never had one crimp or leak. However, my current home built in 2007 has a wall box. By far the best way and flexible SS hose with 3/8" fitting must be used. When HD delivered my refrigerator they insist on installing a new line ($) from the wall box to the refrigerator (liability I guess) and it was made of PEX.

Just google "ice maker box".

View attachment 88041View attachment 88042

Hi Worth,

I understand these wall boxes exist. I am pushing the builder to use these. The issue I have is that all of these wall boxes connect to larger 1/2'' pipes in wall than what my builder has installed (1/4'' copper line). Is there some sort of adapter that can be used inside the wall that converts the 1/4 copper into something useable with the wall outlet box inside the wall?

The builder is dragging their feet and I want to have everything laid out for them. I am not a plumber so Im not sure what adapters could work here.

Thanks!

El_Burro

Reaction score
Where I'm at icemaker boxes are installed with hammer arrestors. I would have had them run 1/2" to a icemaker box with a shutoff and a way to connect supply lines.
Sixteen years, it's good to have you here.:)

icemaker-box-install-3.jpg

icemaker_rough_sno.jpg

Hi Terry,

It is an honor to have you in my thread lol! So many helpful posts of yours I have read in my lifetime.

The builder has ran 1/4'' copper under the slab across the kitchen from the Island that contains kitchen sink. I assume they will tie in to the faucet water supply.

Se picture attached.

Short of cutting the floor or running PEX in the attic from a nearby bathroom (no adjoining wall), is there a way to convert this 1/4'' tubing into 1/2 NPT or 1/2'' PEX for connection to the wall outlet box?

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-14 at 7.34.00 PM.jpeg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Worse case is as long as the line comes up through the sill plate of the wall, then out through the drywall, this can be added later. Cut a hole in the wall, make the compression fitting connection, attach the box to the wall. Since it is behind the refig, you don't need to learn how to patch a wall. If you never have done a compression connection, hiring a plumber to to it would be the way to go. If I lived in S. Florida I would be able to help you out. Orlando is a bit of a trip.

Last edited:

El_Burro

Reaction score

Worse case is as long as the line comes up through the sill plate of the wall, then out through the drywall, this can be added later. Cut a hole in the wall, make the compression fitting connection, attach the box to the wall. Since it is behind the refig, you don't need to learn how to patch a wall. If you never have done a compression connection, hiring a plumber to to it would be the way to go. If I lived in S. Florida I would be able to help you out. Orlando is a bit of a trip.
House has no drywall yet so I think anything in wall is doable. See the pic in the previous post. The copper line comes out right out of the slab between studs.

EDIT: I appreciate your offer for help! No need though since subcontractors are currently working on the house. IM just trying to inform myself before the builder gives me a runaround.

thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks