Frequent Dirty Water coming from Well

Users who are viewing this thread

walkeasy

Reaction score
HI! I have been reading other threads and have been putting together various ideas. Now I am looking for input.

I had a well installation completed on Sept 2016.
  • 600 ft deep
  • 1 GPM yield
  • Static water Level at 85 Ft
  • 252 ft of heavy duty iron casing ( I seem to remember both 10" and 6" casing but can't find it listed
  • I can't seem to find depth of pump but I do remember its somewhere between 345 and 450 feet
  • I have the largest pressure tank on the general market

It has been under light to normal use for 3 person household since installation. I have horrible water quality and have since installed a spin down filter and 3 other large filters, when new the water is also fresh and clean.

I have noticed at various times, I have to clean the spin down filter every 2 weeks or so, manually, as there is a build up of mud and sand so thick water flow stops.

Other times I can get by with on a quick scrub once a month.

I think this means that either
  • my well is collapsing and or changing shape and stirring up the particles
  • My pump is right on the water level at times and causing turbidity
  • I'm cycling too much water for my well to support
What have I missed or put together incorrectly? TIA!

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get air in your pipes? If not, the water is not falling to the level of the pump intake. If yes, then the water level falling could be the cause, but there can be other sources.

If you ever get the pump pulled for some reason, have a flow inducer sleeve installed. That is cheap. One thing it does is to reduce turbulence against the wall of the well. Cheap while the pump is out. There is another fancier system: Lakos Sub-K.

What kind of sediment do you get out of your spin-down filter and cartridge filters? Course sand, fine sand, what?

There are easier to clean spin-down filters. A backwashing filter can clean out sediment, and, if appropriate, can treat iron, H2S, and more. A backwashing filter can sometimes do wonders. Tell us about your horrible water quality. Do you have a lab test that includes pH, iron, manganese, arsenic, and more? I am not a pro.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have the largest pressure tank on the general market
What exactly does that mean? A very large tank on a low flow well adds more load to it. In addition to the amount of water being used at the time, the pump is also trying to fill the large tank. A heavy draw can motivate the mud/sand.

A small tank and a CSV (Cycle Stop Valve) would reduce the draw to the amount used plus about 1 GPM to refill the small tank.

walkeasy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Do you get air in your pipes? Never

What kind of sediment do you get out of your spin-down filter and cartridge filters? Course sand, fine sand, what?
Generally sandy, Course and fine. I would say some brown clay'ish particles that require a light brushing to remove. I will take a pic next time it is clogged (and when I clean it during daylight) The spin down filter is currently at 100 microns. the 500 Microns destroyed my other filters. I have thought about installing 3 spin down filters, 500m, 100m and 50m, along with a daily automatic flush for TBD time. Unless you can point me to a better spin down filter to consider. I am currently using the iSpring WSP series.

Tell us about your horrible water quality.

Very low PH.
High in dissolved iron (from what I can tell reading up on it)
Quick to stain everything orange.
Taste like Blood.
no other mineral issues that I can tell.

What exactly does that mean? A very large tank on a low flow well adds more load to it.

WX-350 - 119 gallons. I was told by numerous sources- well guy, pump store, my own reading, to maximize my tank size to extend pump run time. Though, a quick read regarding the CSV, i'm intrigued. Possibly all those around me are living in days of the old and aren't familiar with this- typical construction learning curve. If I could install CSV close to the tank, it doesn't seem like a costly trial to verify, considering other options that is. Could I not install one on my larger tank and get some benefit? Looking at an online calc, I'm not sure how to calculate my GPM demand, doesn't that vary?

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you get air in your pipes? Never
You are not running out of water in your well.

Generally sandy, Course and fine. I would say some brown clay'ish particles that require a light brushing to remove. I will take a pic next time it is clogged (and when I clean it during daylight) The spin down filter is currently at 100 microns. the 500 Microns destroyed my other filters. I have thought about installing 3 spin down filters, 500m, 100m and 50m, along with a daily automatic flush for TBD time. Unless you can point me to a better spin down filter to consider. I am currently using the iSpring WSP series.
Lakos Sandmaster is costly, but may be worthwhile for you.
https://www.lakos.com/homeowners/
See https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/atlas-filtri-hydra-video.69789/

Tell us about your horrible water quality.
Very low PH.
High in dissolved iron (from what I can tell reading up on it)
Quick to stain everything orange.
Taste like Blood.
no other mineral issues that I can tell.
I would post your lab water test (including iron, manganese, pH, hardeness, arsenic) to the water softener forum, which serves as a water treatment forum.

walkeasy

Reaction score
CSV's are interesting. A lot to think about. Its a low cost option and if it improves my pump life, it will be worth it. My household is very water conscious and I am curious how beneficial it will be over typical use. We rarely have more than one water activity at a time, have put 0.5 GPM flow restrictions on our shower and sinks. I could see value in washing clothes. I have been considering adding a pump start counter, I should do this, watch it over a month and then add the CSV.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks