French drain question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark434

Reaction score
side yard.jpg
back yard.jpg

I have been dealing with a sump pump that goes on too much during and after storms for the past 7 years. I finally have time to tackle this project but was hoping for some advice. I have watched a ton of videos over the years and know the basics like call about utilities before digging. Be sure to dig a wide trench...use washed gravel about 3/4 inch to 1 inch. Don't put sock directly on pipe. There is much debate about putting landscape fabric down and then put in gravel then put in pipe...then fill with gravel. Have slope. Anyway...my questions...

* In both of my pictures you can see where the french drain will go. I used my broom during the last storm and it mated down the grass. During the storm I get ponding...after the storm goes away the pond goes away and the water drops into the ground *

1) I have clay soil...should I use landscape fabric around the stone? I have heard it will clog up...I know landscape fabric is important for the pipe holes but it's a catch 22 because the fabric could clog up...

2) On the side of my house picture at the very end near the road is a storm water drain which is about 3.5 feet down. The problem is from the back of my house where the french drain would start (right before the deck) it is about 150 feet away from the drain. I have read that a french drain should be about 2 feet down?

If that's true then I have to start 2 feet down...150 feet with 1/4 inch fall (.25 x 150 feet = 37.5 inches = 12 inches = 3.13 feet). So if I am starting at 2 feet underground that would mean the storm drain would need to be approx 5.13 feet down...I would be under storm drain to get 1/4 inch fall?

I guess I could have 2 different systems? The one behind my yard just drains to the side and then the side would be a different french drain that goes to the storm drain?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I have clay soil...should I use landscape fabric around the stone? I have heard it will clog up...I know landscape fabric is important for the pipe holes but it's a catch 22 because the fabric could clog up...
In clay soil the french drain will only drain water entering from above since water doesn't go through clay. Still you need to keep the clay out of the gravel.

Just don't call Terry to unclog a french drain.

Mark434

Reaction score
In clay soil the french drain will only drain water entering from above since water doesn't go through clay. Still you need to keep the clay out of the gravel.

Just don't call Terry to unclog a french drain.

haha :) I don't know if the soil is 100% clay (just more clay than not) because after the storm the water goes away in say 6 hours. The water seeps into the soil.

Reach4

Reaction score
When you dig your trench, put a tarp next to the trench to catch the clay. Then throw the clay away. Use topsoil and sand on top of the gravel. Maybe some mesh on the gravel and then sand and topsoil above that.

Your planned rock seems large. I used pea gravel, although I guess the bigger gravel won't work its way into the holes. I drilled my own holes in pvc that were small enough to not admit gravel. I only did the holes in a 10 ft section, and ran pipe without holes for the rest in my case.

Mark434

Reaction score
When you dig your trench, put a tarp next to the trench to catch the clay. Then throw the clay away. Use topsoil and sand on top of the gravel. Maybe some mesh on the gravel and then sand and topsoil above that.

Your planned rock seems large. I used pea gravel, although I guess the bigger gravel won't work its way into the holes. I drilled my own holes in pvc that were small enough to not admit gravel. I only did the holes in a 10 ft section, and ran pipe without holes for the rest in my case.

That makes sense...when I remove the clay soil and top with regular soil then I really won't need to worry about the clay - yes, I might be overdoing it with the size of the gravel- thanks for the advice.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Where are you located in the state? If your area has clay soil any dirt bought will usually contain clay. Some where in your County is a Cooperative Extension. Call them and ask what soil types are on your area.

Use 4” preferated pipe with a drain sleeve (sock) over the pipe. Search “drain sleeve”. Do use 3/4 crushed stone in the trench. Do not use garden fabric. 2’ down is a lot of digging. If it’s not deep enough over the years the drain pipe may heave up to the surface during winter freezes. You may want to rent a small back hoe if you’re planning to do it yourself.

This is the best drain to use but it’s super expensive.
4 in. x 10 ft. Prefabricated French Drain with Pipe https://www.homedepot.com/p/202259347

Last edited:

Mark434

Reaction score
Where are you located in the state? If your area has clay soil any dirt bought will usually contain clay. Some where in your County is a Cooperative Extension. Call them and ask what soil types are on your area.

Southern part - very good idea to call the cooperative. Does anyone have ideas about part 2 of my question about slope?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Does anyone have ideas about part 2 of my question about slope?

As long as the pipe doesn't go uphill, slope is not that important. As long it is level as possible, water always seek its own level and the end of the pipe is not obstructed, the pipe will drain. But to help it the last 10 or twenty feet it should slope. S Jersey really doesn't get long hard freezes like the mid West or the Northeast so going down 2 feet may not be needed. I would say start at 12" and slope down to at least 18". You can ask the co-operative extension on average how far down the does the ground usually freeze.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks