Freeze Proof Sillcock outdoor faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

NC1

Reaction score
Hi, I have BMI Freeze Proof quarter turn sillcocks on my house. I had shut off 3 of them internally before the winter but left one on. I went outside and saw it was just letting water out of the faucet which was then freezing on the floor while the faucet was in the off position. What would be causing this? I have since turned the inside shutoff to that one off as well. It is less than a year old. Also, the anti siphon valve has a cover that gets tightenned on. Should this be loose or tight and is that the cause of the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the body of the valve is not installed per the instructions or you left a hose on it, it has probably frozen and split. It must be installed with a downward slope to the main tube and it cannot have a hose left on, since either one can allow water to accumulate verses drain out, and then it can freeze and fail.

If it wasn't a 1/4-turn, another possibility would be a bad washer, but that's not typically an issue with a 1/4-turn valve.

Reactions: NC1

NC1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. There wasn't a hose left on it and i think they come pre-sloped so maybe just a washer. Will look online if I can find any replacement parts. Any good online plumbing stores you recommend?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks