Freeze proof cottage plumbling

Users who are viewing this thread

kaw550

Reaction score
We are about a month into a cottage remodel. We should have running water this week.
I don't think the plumbing was used for a couple of years but I was told it was drained each year. I inspected the pipes under the house. I do not see any cracks but there are a few patches.

The crawl space is fairly open so the pipes will freeze if left with water. I plan on wraping with heat tape and insulation but I will probably need to drain the system when we are not there.

Along one wall we have the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and toilet. On the other side of the bathroom is the water heater and shower.

I would like to replace whats there with PEX but move it into the cottage. The plumbing would run along the walls on the inside of the room. In the kitchen it would be in the cabintes. In the bathroom it would be fairly visible but I would hide it with molding.

I am fairly sure it wouldn't meet code but I am sure whats there would not either. Is this a bad idea? Any other suggestions?

I should also point out that were installing a well. So we will have to do something to keep the tank from freezing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks