Free Standing Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

NY5050

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting, but love the info on here. I have hopefully an easy question (though its not for me).

I removed an alcove tub and a brass tubular bath waste & overflow drain. What I have left I'm assuming is cast iron pipe and cast iron p-trap. The top of the p trap sits a few inches below the floor surface. My new free standing tub drain is ~2 feet away from the p-trap. The new tub would cover the hole in the floor (plus i'll be adding backerboard) and there is 2 inches from the bottom of the new tub drain to the floor ( so i could run pipe on the floor but under the tub if recommended). What would I need to connect the drain from the tub to this p-trap? (including what drain to I get?). Would I need to move the p-trap? I'm in NY, so I cant use any pvc fittings. I'm assuming some brass or cast iron with no hub connections? I added a picture of what's there.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the ptrap swing the tee toward center of new overflow. use an overflow that meets your code but in a regular house in most of the USA a solvent weld plastic tub waste and overflow would pass with out issue

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Freestanding tubs come in too many variety of drain and overflow configuration to provide an answer. The san tee can be repositioned to line up with the center of the drain of the tub

Free Standing Tub reciever

we use this style of drain receiver for most of our freestanding tubs. I couldn't confirm that this unit is non flammable, but i think it might be.

rapidconnect-terrylove-1.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ny5050 didn't notice you said a free standing tub Id have to see the tub specs and trim . so my answer above is part of answer the receiver tuttles pointed out could be a good idea as well

NY5050

Reaction score
Freestanding tubs come in too many variety of drain and overflow configuration to provide an answer. The san tee can be repositioned to line up with the center of the drain of the tub

Free Standing Tub reciever

we use this style of drain receiver for most of our freestanding tubs. I couldn't confirm that this unit is non flammable, but i think it might be.

rapidconnect-terrylove-1.jpg
thanks ... Late reply because still dealing with this, but I did by this peace, they make it in a cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks