Frameless glass shower door, how much gap between the wall and the glass? Installer left 1/2"

Users who are viewing this thread

Smokedvw

Reaction score
We just got our shower installed and I'm trying to figure out of this type of gap is normal?

We put the door onto the back wall. There is roughly a 1/2" to 7/16". I never realized the gap would be that big and I'm concerned about having water run down there as the shower is used.

With the kids I'm sure it will get soaked it they play with the hand held.

I'm trying to figure out is that normal?

PXL_20221124_040842037.jpg
PXL_20221124_040848432.jpg
PXL_20221124_040831433~2.jpg

Smokedvw

Reaction score
It looks like the hinge is tight to the wall. I don't see how it could be set closer. I think it will be fine. :)
Ok, it could be at least a 1/4" closer based on swiveling the door and poking at the hinge but then gives a larger gap where the door meets the other glass.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is the big difference from the old frame glass shower enclosures to the frameless. The old frame made for an almost water proof enclosure.

You eye will see the gap between the door and the other glass better than the wall and that is where you want it to look squared up and even top to bottom. The problem is walls are never perfectly vertical and may have bows. I checked mine and it is 3/8+" at the top, about a 1/4" at the bottom with the same hinges you have. Since the shower head points in the other direction, very little water will splash out if any. Just zip tie down the hand held for the kids.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My walls are floated plumb and custom built enclosure wasn't cheap and its definitely under a 1/4 but 1/2 might be ok

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks