• Tie in below tub p trap

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Where would be proper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikefitz

Reaction score
I’m remodelling my main bathroom and found what looks to be an abandoned drain vent. It was knocked when taking the tub out and has been leaking water since. Clearly this needs a more permanent solution.

Can I tie it into the tub overflow drain pipe or does it need to go below the p trap.

The house is almost 100 years old and there have been many alterations over the years. the drain has worked well for the past 10 years I have been here so I suspect it is getting proper venting through the main stack behind the toilet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 114

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bathroom vent can be tied in downstream of the tub drain, acting as a vent for the tub and for the toilet.

Without a vent, the traps can siphon dry. The funky smell you may or may not have noticed should go away once you reconnect the venting.

dwv_b2.jpg

Mikefitz

Reaction score
The bathroom vent can be tied in downstream of the tub drain, acting as a vent for the tub and for the toilet.

Without a vent, the traps can siphon dry. The funky smell you may or may not have noticed should go away once you reconnect the venting.

dwv_b2.jpg
Ok. Thanks for the advice

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks