found a leak through a hole in the toilet waste pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

amen

Reaction score
hi guys, noticed a leak today and though the 4" toilet waste pipe may have slipped out or something but after investigating I found some poo protruding out of a hole from the middle of the waste pipe! any ideas what could have coused this? could it be a rat chewed through it?? and is replacing the pipe a simple DIY job? I've attached a picture, any input would be much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1426.JPG
    IMG_1426.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,482

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You talking about that thin plastic, wire-reinforced air duct used as a drain pipe?! If that in fact is a drain pipe, it needs to come out and be replaced with rigid PVC.

Flapper

Reaction score
You talking about that thin plastic, wire-reinforced air duct used as a drain pipe?! If that in fact is a drain pipe, it needs to come out and be replaced with rigid PVC.
It looks like corrugated plastic, not spiraled wire air duct.

amen

Reaction score
Hi, I dont know what it's made from but it's called a back to wall pan connector, so it's made for this purpose I guess, I just dont understand what caused the break in the pipe

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I take it you are not in the US, because, separated by a common language, we have toilet "bowls" here, not toilet "pans". (And the etymology of that is actually probably at least a little interesting.) And we don't have "back to wall" toilets. We call them "wall hung" or "rear discharge".

What caused the break is unknowable. A crack or break there could be caused by a million things, given the material used and the manner of installation. Typically-permissible fittings in the US wouldn't look like that, perhaps accounting for our members' surprise, and statements above. And the result you have could be seen to validate the stricter US rules...

Would it be a big deal to duplicate that installation as a DIY person? Probably not much, at least as far as the "plumbing" part goes. The removal and reinstallation of the porcelain and perhaps a section of wall might be a bigger deal.

amen

Reaction score
I take it you are not in the US, because, separated by a common language, we have toilet "bowls" here, not toilet "pans". (And the etymology of that is actually probably at least a little interesting.) And we don't have "back to wall" toilets. We call them "wall hung" or "rear discharge".

What caused the break is unknowable. A crack or break there could be caused by a million things, given the material used and the manner of installation. Typically-permissible fittings in the US wouldn't look like that, perhaps accounting for our members' surprise, and statements above. And the result you have could be seen to validate the stricter US rules...

Would it be a big deal to duplicate that installation as a DIY person? Probably not much, at least as far as the "plumbing" part goes. The removal and reinstallation of the porcelain and perhaps a section of wall might be a bigger deal.

You are absolutely right, I am from the UK and just noticed that most if not all members here are from the US.

Yes it seems our standard fitting differ, I have managed to successfully change the connector, this type seems to be the only option available for this type of toilet, I took a closer look at the hole when I took the old connector off and it seems to have been chewed through, the only logical explanation is it was done by a rat, however I've found no droppings or any other sings a rat in the area, which although is good news it still bugs me to not know what exactly happened..

Thanks for all the input fellas! All the best

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks