Fore / Aft position of Moen Posi-temp valve

Users who are viewing this thread

FJK

Reaction score
The Posi-temp valve comes with ~7/8" thick, 4-1/2" diameter plastic ring that screws onto the valve. Should the back side of the ring be flush with the front side of the bare stud? This obviously sets the fore/aft position of the valve. I'll be using 1/2" cement board & tile (?? thickness). Will the valve be positioned correctly? If not, how do I set the correct dimension?
Thanks, FJK

moen_posi-temp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, there are marks on that plaster shield. Normally, it should be flush with the FINISHED wall, or at least within the limits marked on the shield, which could be with it further out. The instructions should say.

FJK

Reaction score
There are no marks on the plastic shield. If I have to estimate, is it better to have it stand proud or be slightly recessed?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Call Moen. If the printed instructions do not tell you where it should be and the limits, it is severely lacking. You could get a good idea if you assembled the trim to check how long the screws are and how easily you can attach the handles. Some models are very fussy and must be quite exact, some are quite flexible. Now, this does not mean that you will like the handle sticking out if you have it too far out. But, as long as the trim will fit, technically (not necessarily asthetically) it is okay.

Nate R

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17741

I posted a pic of the instructions, which can be found on Moen's website based on your model #.
The part of the pic I posted is the setup for walls thicker than 3/16" IIRC.

For thinner walls, I *THINK* the ring is reversed and goes behind the finished wall instead of flush. But again, check the Moen site as I may be recalling incorrectly.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
The surface of the finished wall should be within the range of the thickness of the flange. If your wall was 2" thick, it would do no good to meet it to the stud. The plastic flange is particularly handy for mounting to the back side of a fiberglas shower, and it's good for establishing the range of space allowable for installation.

To get an idea, place the trim on the valve and allow for the thickness of your finished wall and you can see how deep in the wall to place the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks