Ford fittings for poly?

Users who are viewing this thread

DStyduhar

Reaction score
When working with poly, somebody mentioned using Ford fittings compared to conventional barbed stuff since they have less restriction? I looked it up and they appear to be some of compression type fitting? If that is correct, I feel better with the barbed variety but any opinions here? Any other types of fittings for poly?

thanks,

Drew

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use both. Compression fittings are not compatible with sidr pipe. They are used on CTS pipe. So it's different poly, different style connection. Compressions shouldn't be used in applications like well drop pipes, the can pull apart with enough force.

CTS pipe can be convenient if you need to sleeve inside a failing line. The compression fittings are easier to take apart if it's stuff you disassemble on occasion. There is much more brass to the compression fittings and less brass to water contact, so they last longer with corrosive water or acidic soil.

Ford is one particular brand, they seem popular in Canada, I use a few different brands in my area. The CTS stuff is the standard for municipal supply in my area. Well companies favor sidr and hose barb and get their supplies from pump distributers, commercial piping companies favor CTS poly and compressions andn get their stuff from commercial piping suppliers.

DStyduhar

Reaction score
very good info, thanks!

Regarding NPT fittings.....can you mix the standard Chi com, 150 class and 3k class fittings? I just inherited a bunch of brand new stainless brewing fittings (150 class) and wonder if they can work with regular stainless stuff you buy at local pump houses? I mean, NPT is NPT but never mixed and matched.

thanks!

Drew

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know why they wouldn't. Not something I work with though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks